Re: [Beekeeping] Urgent situation - need advice please

  • Mike Southern
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 8, 2008
      On 8/8/08 2:52 PM, melissa@... at
      Melissa@... wrote:

      > Are these bees or wasps, can you tell?

      They are wasps
    • Richard Leonard
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 8, 2008
        Yellow Jackets...   nuke 'em.

        Sent: Friday, August 08, 2008 2:52 PM
        Subject: [Beekeeping] Urgent situation - need advice please

        We have an urgent situation here and need some advice ASAP, if the moderator would be so kind as to
        help me get this post quickly approved?

        We're in the Denver area and have a concrete walkway that goes from the driveway to the house. One of us
        is handicapped and uses a walker, so we need to use the walkway, it's important.

        Here's the thing. We have planters with beds of lavender along this walk, that have been blooming all
        summer. The bees have been all over the flowers, which is fine, we walk by and they never bother us.

        But yesterday, coming into the house, I was stung on the ankle.
        Hurt like hell and was swollen up last night, getting better today.

        (No stinger was there, so maybe these are wasps?)

        It was black and yellow striped though.

        I almost never get stung, so this was odd. I've gotten stung about every 10 years all my life.

        But today I was just going out to the mail box and had a swarm of these guys touching against my leg as I
        walked by this one place in the walk. I thought; Uh oh!

        So I took the camera out there and started looking around and discovered that they're building a nest in the
        pipe that goes into the ground around our gas meter!

        I've attached a photo that I carefully took just now.

        Are these bees or wasps, can you tell?

        I need to know how to safely get them out of there either way. If bees, I don't want to kill them, or even if
        they're just wasps, if I can avoid it, but they gotta go, and soon. What can I do?

        Yours In Liberty, Melissa - Colorado, U.S.A.
        http://www.Colorado ProcessServers. net
        http://www.Planetar yBillOfRights. org/ please contact me!

          Those are yellow jackets.  Use soapy water and spray them liberally.  They can get nasty.  Use Ivory Liquid, a teaspoon to a quart of water and hand spray.

          Mike in LA

          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 8, 2008
            On 8 Aug 2008 at 18:57, Mike Stoops wrote:

            > Those are yellow jackets.  Use soapy water and spray them liberally.  They can
            > get nasty.  Use Ivory Liquid, a teaspoon to a quart of water and hand spray.

            Will that kill them?

            If it won't, I'm getting some real jet spray stuff at the store.

            These things messed with Mama Bear ( my nickname ), and we always say around here;
            Don't mess with Mama Bear!
          • melissa@Forethought.net
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 8, 2008
              On 8 Aug 2008 at 21:03, Richard Leonard wrote:

              > Yellow Jackets... nuke 'em.

              Oh yes, thanks guys.

              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 8, 2008
                On 8/8/08 11:23 PM, melissa@... at
                Melissa@... wrote:

                > On 8 Aug 2008 at 18:57, Mike Stoops wrote:
                >
                >> Those are yellow jackets.  Use soapy water and spray them liberally.  They
                >> can
                >> get nasty.  Use Ivory Liquid, a teaspoon to a quart of water and hand spray.
                >
                > Will that kill them?
                >
                > If it won't, I'm getting some real jet spray stuff at the store.
                >
                > These things messed with Mama Bear ( my nickname ), and we always say around
                > here;
                > Don't mess with Mama Bear!

                Bearing in mind the debated possible links between pesticides and the demise
                of honey bees, Mama Bear might want to really really try the soapy water
                approach. Soapy water essentially drowns them as they become immersed in the
                film. RAID on the other hand, while not systemic (it doesn't last in a
                plants root system), will wreck the nervous system of any and all passing
                insects - not just the wasps. If the garden is attracting a lot of honey
                bees it seems a shame to kill them in the crossfire.
              • melissa@Forethought.net
                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 8, 2008
                  On 8 Aug 2008 at 23:54, Mike Southern wrote:

                  > On 8/8/08 11:23 PM, melissa@... at
                  > Melissa@... wrote:
                  >
                  > > On 8 Aug 2008 at 18:57, Mike Stoops wrote:
                  > >
                  > >> Those are yellow jackets.  Use soapy water and spray them liberally.  They
                  > >> can get nasty.  Use Ivory Liquid, a teaspoon to a quart of water and hand
                  > >> spray.
                  > >
                  > > Will that kill them?
                  > >
                  > > If it won't, I'm getting some real jet spray stuff at the store.
                  > >
                  > > These things messed with Mama Bear ( my nickname ), and we always say around
                  > > here; Don't mess with Mama Bear!
                  >

                  > Bearing in mind the debated possible links between pesticides and the demise of
                  > honey bees, Mama Bear might want to really really try the soapy water approach.
                  > Soapy water essentially drowns them as they become immersed in the film. RAID on
                  > the other hand, while not systemic (it doesn't last in a plants root system),
                  > will wreck the nervous system of any and all passing insects - not just the
                  > wasps. If the garden is attracting a lot of honey bees it seems a shame to kill
                  > them in the crossfire.

                  Oh ok, I'm sorry, I didn't realize there could be collateral harm like that. I will use the soap water, and thanks
                  for pointing that out to me. :-)

                  Yours In Liberty, Melissa - Colorado, U.S.A.
                  http://www.ColoradoProcessServers.net
                  http://www.PlanetaryBillOfRights.org/ please contact me!
                • rmars3433
                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 9, 2008
                    Mike is exactly right,use soapy water,Ivory Snow works well,detergent
                    doesn't work as well.Also add add about 1 ounce of alcohol to 32
                    ounces of the mixture and it will kill almost any insect it comes in
                    contact with.I have sprayed wasps, yellow jackets, crickets etc. I
                    have used this same mixture in and around my home and greenhouse to
                    kill aphids,scale,and whiteflys on plants.It is strictly a contact
                    killer, once it has dried it has virtually no effect.Do not use on
                    your plants and subject them to bright sunlight, as it can be
                    phototoxic and burn them.On tender plants use in the evening or early
                    morning and spray off with plain water before the sun can burn them.
                    PS: it will kill honey bees if it gets on them.
                  • melissa@Forethought.net
                    Message 9 of 16 , Aug 9, 2008
                      On 10 Aug 2008 at 0:17, rmars3433 wrote:

                      > Mike is exactly right,use soapy water,Ivory Snow works well,detergent
                      > doesn't work as well.

                      I just tried spraying them with a solution of water and Palmolive and they were flying up out of there as if
                      nothing happened. They may have liked it.

                      > Also add add about 1 ounce of alcohol to 32
                      > ounces of the mixture and it will kill almost any insect it comes in
                      > contact with.

                      I knew that isopropyl works on flies. I use a bottle of it to shoot down flies in the house, when they come in.
                      But I thought we were trying to keep from hurting any bees by accident.

                      >I have sprayed wasps, yellow jackets, crickets etc. I
                      > have used this same mixture in and around my home and greenhouse to
                      > kill aphids,scale,and whiteflys on plants.It is strictly a contact
                      > killer, once it has dried it has virtually no effect.Do not use on
                      > your plants and subject them to bright sunlight, as it can be
                      > phototoxic and burn them.On tender plants use in the evening or early
                      > morning and spray off with plain water before the sun can burn them.
                      > PS: it will kill honey bees if it gets on them.

                      Yeah, that's my worry.

                      I don't think I've ever been stung by a bee, I leave them alone and they leave me alone.

                      And we grew some bee balm this summer that they really loved, along with the beds of lavender flowers.
                      We had hundreds of bees all over them, no problems.

                      I saw a lot of the regular bees, some large and small regular colored ones, and also some that had orange
                      areas on their bodies. Are those the africanized ones?

                      Message 10 of 16 , Aug 10, 2008
                        Palmolive is not soap, it is detergent.
                      • melissa@Forethought.net
                        Message 11 of 16 , Aug 10, 2008
                          On 11 Aug 2008 at 0:18, rmars3433 wrote:

                          > Palmolive is not soap, it is detergent.

                          Oh. <scratching head>

                          Yours In Liberty, Melissa - Colorado, U.S.A.
                          http://www.ColoradoProcessServers.net
                          http://www.PlanetaryBillOfRights.org/ please contact me!
                        • russell spencer
                          Message 12 of 16 , Aug 10, 2008
                            HUMM
                             PURE AND SIMPLE YOU HAVE YELOW JACKETS ENENEY OF THE HONEY BEE.SO MY ADVISE IS GET A CAN OF STARTING FLUID SPRAY BUGS AND ENTRANCE BE DONE WITH THEM.
                             AND I AM NOT SELLIN OUT

                            Message 13 of 16 , Aug 10, 2008
                              On 10 Aug 2008 at 20:19, russell spencer wrote:

                              > HUMM
                              >  PURE AND SIMPLE YOU HAVE YELOW JACKETS ENENEY OF THE HONEY BEE.SO MY ADVISE IS
                              > GET A CAN OF STARTING FLUID SPRAY BUGS AND ENTRANCE BE DONE WITH THEM.  AND I AM
                              > NOT SELLIN OUT

                              Didn't realize they were the enemy of honey bees, that's interesting.

                              We also have a peach tree and they were eating away at the peaches, by the time they were ripe enough to
                              pick last year, which I was NOT happy about.

                              Well the Palmolive seems to have wiped out that nest anyway, so it worked after all, sorta. I'll keep an eye
                              on it.

                              What are those bees with the orange area on them? Are they a different type of bee?

                              Yours In Liberty, Melissa - Colorado, U.S.A.
                              http://www.ColoradoProcessServers.net
                              http://www.PlanetaryBillOfRights.org/ please contact me!
                            • Barbara Lindberg
                              Message 14 of 16 , Aug 10, 2008

                                It’s great to see you back Russell J  It’s been too quiet on the list without you.  And, I’m very glad to hear you’re staying in the biz… or buzz

                                Barbara

                                Ontario, Canada

                                 PURE AND SIMPLE YOU HAVE YELOW JACKETS ENENEY OF THE HONEY BEE.SO MY ADVISE IS GET A CAN OF STARTING FLUID SPRAY BUGS AND ENTRANCE BE DONE WITH THEM.

                                 AND I AM NOT SELLIN OUT

                                  Russell - it is good to see you back. Personally, I wouldn't be giving up anything so long as I can lift a frame from a box. Your advice and experience is worth more than a college education on beekeeping. Keep on keepin'!

                                  Alan, Lakeview, NY

[...]

                                  The following
                                   section of this message contains a file attachment