Resident new guy with questions

  • Joel Wilson
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 30, 2008
      Well, I've finally convinced the wife in getting a hive. We have a
      little less than 3 acres, 212 olive trees with pasture underneath, and
      a 70x110 garden area. We've got 6 almond trees plus a few fruit trees
      but they are small still. Almond trees require bees to pollinate, the
      garden obviously, but the olive trees are polinated via the wind, or
      self polinated. We have a whole bunch of sage which the bees seem to
      like, quite a bit of wild mustard, and clover when the horses and goats
      let it grow. I'm still doing research, but would like to know if I
      could buy a colony in the summer to try and give the bees a chance to
      build their hive so I could get some honey next year. Also, we have
      quite a population of bees in the garden and orchard. How could I find
      out if we have a colony already on the property? I don't know of
      anyone near us this time of year with a hive. We have 1 almond orchard
      about a half mile down the road, but they've already blossomed and
      removed the hives. Everything else is olives. They gotta be coming
      from somewhere. Thanks in advance for any help...
      Joel
      Northern California