Maintaining area around hives

  • Sabrina
    Message 1 of 2 , May 20, 2008
      I'm in the process of preparing a site for my hives. I've chosen a spot
      behind my greenhouse on a hill underneath some trees. I've weed-eated
      the spot and cleared branches from the area. I'm planning on getting my
      hives this fall, and start the bees next spring. My question is by next
      summer when the weeds, grass, and tree sprouts pop up around the hives
      what should I do? Is it OK to weed-eat? Should I use round-up? I don't
      want it to get snakey up there, but at the same time I don't want to
      upset the bees or harm them.

      Sabrina
    • russell spencer
      Message 2 of 2 , May 20, 2008

        You will be alright to mow or weed whack i do every day if mowing don't blow grass towards hive if whacking wear a pollinatoers jacket or vail.

        russell