Re: [Beekeeping] Re: I'm back!

  • Mike McDonald
    Message 1 of 9 , May 6, 2008
      Pete,

      I've noticed, over the past year, that each sting causes a reaction
      worse than the one before. For example, used to be that a sting on a
      finger would cause that finger and maybe the one next to it to swell.
      Later, a sting on the finger would cause the entire hand to swell. A
      couple weeks ago, a sting on the finger caused my entire arm to swell
      and itch.

      My doctor told me I was developing an immune response and suggested
      antihistamines each time I work the bees, just in case. I also keep an
      EpiPen, just in case.

      Of course, the doctors first suggestion was to stay away from bees. But
      that just ain't gonna happen. :)

      Mike

      On Tue, 2008-05-06 at 10:07 +0000, Pete wrote:

      > I get quite bad reactions to stings myself, although every year it
      > is seemingly less so. Now, if I get a couple, say in my wrist, my
      > whole fore arm swells up and goes red, feels hot and tingly, and it
      > takes a couple of days for the swelling to go down. If I get the
      > sting out quickly and apply some antihistamine cream it helps.
    • Pete
      Message 2 of 9 , May 6, 2008
        Hi Mike

        I find stings can effect me differently at different times of the
        year (irrespective of how quickly you scrape then off). Though I
        don't know if it is seasonal resistance within me or fluctuations in
        venom strength.

        I attended a talk a few years ago at the annual Cambridge One-Day-
        Meeting, at which a Doctor of Toxicology at Addenbrokes hospital in
        Cambridge talked about venom therapy. Evidently, for beekeepers who
        suffer from anaphylactic shock there is a treatment regime
        consisting of periodic small exposures to bee venom. This is always
        done at hospital, under supervision, due to the risk of a full blown
        anaphylactic reaction. I think, from memory, the coarse of treatment
        takes about 18 months.

        Peter
        Cambridge UK

        --- In Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, Mike McDonald <mike@...> wrote:

        > Pete,
        >
        > I've noticed, over the past year, that each sting causes a reaction
        > worse than the one before. For example, used to be that a sting on
        > finger would cause that finger and maybe the one next to it to
        swell.
        > Later, a sting on the finger would cause the entire hand to swell.
        > couple weeks ago, a sting on the finger caused my entire arm to
        swell
        > and itch.
        >
        > My doctor told me I was developing an immune response and suggested
        > antihistamines each time I work the bees, just in case. I also
        keep an
        > EpiPen, just in case.
        >
        > Of course, the doctors first suggestion was to stay away from
        bees. But
        > that just ain't gonna happen. :)
        >
        > Mike
        >
        > On Tue, 2008-05-06 at 10:07 +0000, Pete wrote:
        >
        > > I get quite bad reactions to stings myself, although every year
        it
        > > is seemingly less so. Now, if I get a couple, say in my wrist,
        my
        > > whole fore arm swells up and goes red, feels hot and tingly, and
        it
        > > takes a couple of days for the swelling to go down. If I get the
        > > sting out quickly and apply some antihistamine cream it helps.

      • Peggy Willenberg
        Message 3 of 9 , May 6, 2008
          Thanks Rich and others!  I do have an EpiPen and have used it before  a few years ago.  It is a very nasty feeling when that epinephrine first hits, but it is a lot better than going into anaphylactic shock!  Interesting, too, I had NO reaction at any of the sting sites, they just disappeared.  Hope not to repeat that experience now that I am wearing protective clothing.
          Peggy in MN