Re: [Beekeeping] I'm back!

  • Richard Leonard
    Message 1 of 9 , May 6, 2008
      Hi Peggy,

         Make sure you have EpiPen Twinpak auto injectors on hand... just in case.  You'll need to request a prescription from your doctor.  Most prescription plans will cover this.  Read instructions carefully before hand and carry with you in the bee yard. But, you probably know all this already.

      Welcome back,

      Pharma Rich

      Sent: Monday, May 05, 2008 8:28 PM
      Subject: [Beekeeping] I'm back!

      After seven years away from keeping bees, I'm happy to report I am back in business!  This was something I did as a hobby, but then I discovered the hard way I am extremely allergic to bee stings.  So I gave it up, but really missed the girls.  This year I decided to try again, after nine months of reading all the comments on this forum.  Today I worked my new hives the first time, and my fear was gone.  I think the bees sense this, and they are relaxed too.

      Thanks to everyone here who inspired me to try it again.  I wear a full bee suit now, but other than that it is business as usual!

      Thanks,
      Peggy in MN

    • Mike McDonald
      Message 2 of 9 , May 6, 2008
        Pete,

        I've noticed, over the past year, that each sting causes a reaction
        worse than the one before. For example, used to be that a sting on a
        finger would cause that finger and maybe the one next to it to swell.
        Later, a sting on the finger would cause the entire hand to swell. A
        couple weeks ago, a sting on the finger caused my entire arm to swell
        and itch.

        My doctor told me I was developing an immune response and suggested
        antihistamines each time I work the bees, just in case. I also keep an
        EpiPen, just in case.

        Of course, the doctors first suggestion was to stay away from bees. But
        that just ain't gonna happen. :)

        Mike

        On Tue, 2008-05-06 at 10:07 +0000, Pete wrote:

        > I get quite bad reactions to stings myself, although every year it
        > is seemingly less so. Now, if I get a couple, say in my wrist, my
        > whole fore arm swells up and goes red, feels hot and tingly, and it
        > takes a couple of days for the swelling to go down. If I get the
        > sting out quickly and apply some antihistamine cream it helps.
      • Pete
        Message 3 of 9 , May 6, 2008
          Hi Mike

          I find stings can effect me differently at different times of the
          year (irrespective of how quickly you scrape then off). Though I
          don't know if it is seasonal resistance within me or fluctuations in
          venom strength.

          I attended a talk a few years ago at the annual Cambridge One-Day-
          Meeting, at which a Doctor of Toxicology at Addenbrokes hospital in
          Cambridge talked about venom therapy. Evidently, for beekeepers who
          suffer from anaphylactic shock there is a treatment regime
          consisting of periodic small exposures to bee venom. This is always
          done at hospital, under supervision, due to the risk of a full blown
          anaphylactic reaction. I think, from memory, the coarse of treatment
          takes about 18 months.

          Peter
          Cambridge UK

          --- In Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, Mike McDonald <mike@...> wrote:

          > Pete,
          >
          > I've noticed, over the past year, that each sting causes a reaction
          > worse than the one before. For example, used to be that a sting on
          > finger would cause that finger and maybe the one next to it to
          swell.
          > Later, a sting on the finger would cause the entire hand to swell.
          > couple weeks ago, a sting on the finger caused my entire arm to
          swell
          > and itch.
          >
          > My doctor told me I was developing an immune response and suggested
          > antihistamines each time I work the bees, just in case. I also
          keep an
          > EpiPen, just in case.
          >
          > Of course, the doctors first suggestion was to stay away from
          bees. But
          > that just ain't gonna happen. :)
          >
          > Mike
          >
          > On Tue, 2008-05-06 at 10:07 +0000, Pete wrote:
          >
          > > I get quite bad reactions to stings myself, although every year
          it
          > > is seemingly less so. Now, if I get a couple, say in my wrist,
          my
          > > whole fore arm swells up and goes red, feels hot and tingly, and
          it
          > > takes a couple of days for the swelling to go down. If I get the
          > > sting out quickly and apply some antihistamine cream it helps.

        • Peggy Willenberg
          Message 4 of 9 , May 6, 2008
            Thanks Rich and others!  I do have an EpiPen and have used it before  a few years ago.  It is a very nasty feeling when that epinephrine first hits, but it is a lot better than going into anaphylactic shock!  Interesting, too, I had NO reaction at any of the sting sites, they just disappeared.  Hope not to repeat that experience now that I am wearing protective clothing.
            Peggy in MN