Re: [Beekeeping] Re: New hive and old comb.. Concurance

  • Mike Stoops
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 2, 2008
      Pete <intelpete@...> wrote:
      If I want a drawn comb to put a swarm onto (I've never bought bees)
      I would rather pinch one with eggs and brood at all stages from
      another hive, if possible. Brush the bees of the comb and put it
      into a scorched hive body with frames of foundation and dump the
      swarm in straight away. Then feed, feed, feed, unless there is a
      flow on.

      I don't keep old brood frames and try to change out about a third of
      brood frames each spring. The only frames I will reuse are good
      super frames that the bees cleared out after the last time they were
      extracted, usually that's about half my super frames; poor ones get
      cut out and melted down.

      I concur with your recommendations Pete.  Although I'll use less than optimum comb in my supers at this time.  After I get built up like I want, then I might start swaping out super frames, but not right now.  I need all the supers with drawn comb I can get.   Mike in LA

    • The Browns
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 2, 2008
        I spoke today with the apiary where the bees were purchased. They seem to think that the comb was okay due in fact that I used additional drawn comb from the same colony in the other package I installed. Right now there is no complete explanation for what occurred, and friends of mine who are commercial beekeepers do not have an explanation either. I guess the old saying BEES will be BEES applies.LOL