Re: Winter Kill

  • Mike Stoops
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 2, 2008
      sherill lockwood <sherillynn@...> wrote:
      Wow, that makes me nervous. I lost 5 hives through the
      winter and was going to use their comb to start some
      new ones this spring. Makes me wonder if I should or
      not.

      Mine died sometime after December--we had a warm spell
      and they were all flying then. I left them all with
      about 80# of honey and they all had about 60# left.

      Sherill,
           Did you find dead bees in your deadouts?  If you found dead bees with their heads sticking in the comb then they starved to death.  That happens even if there are combs of honey all around them.  They can only access that honey if there are periods of warm spells where they can move laterally.  The winter cluster itself can only move upwards during really cold times.  If they didn't have any honey above them they could still have starved with plenty of stores on each side.

    • Mike Stoops
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 2, 2008
        Pete <intelpete@...> wrote:
        If I want a drawn comb to put a swarm onto (I've never bought bees)
        I would rather pinch one with eggs and brood at all stages from
        another hive, if possible. Brush the bees of the comb and put it
        into a scorched hive body with frames of foundation and dump the
        swarm in straight away. Then feed, feed, feed, unless there is a
        flow on.

        I don't keep old brood frames and try to change out about a third of
        brood frames each spring. The only frames I will reuse are good
        super frames that the bees cleared out after the last time they were
        extracted, usually that's about half my super frames; poor ones get
        cut out and melted down.

        I concur with your recommendations Pete.  Although I'll use less than optimum comb in my supers at this time.  After I get built up like I want, then I might start swaping out super frames, but not right now.  I need all the supers with drawn comb I can get.   Mike in LA

      • The Browns
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 2, 2008
          I spoke today with the apiary where the bees were purchased. They seem to think that the comb was okay due in fact that I used additional drawn comb from the same colony in the other package I installed. Right now there is no complete explanation for what occurred, and friends of mine who are commercial beekeepers do not have an explanation either. I guess the old saying BEES will be BEES applies.LOL
          Wow, that makes me nervous. I lost 5 hives through the
          winter and was going to use their comb to start some
          new ones this spring. Makes me wonder if I should or
          not.

          Mine died sometime after December--we had a warm spell
          and they were all flying then. I left them all with
          about 80# of honey and they all had about 60# left.

          Do you think I should use their comb????