Re: [beekeeping] Re: out-apiaries

  • Shanta McBain
    Message 1 of 13 , May 6 11:35 AM
      On Tue, 2003-05-06 at 08:00, Ferguson Apiaries wrote:
      > In Ontario Canada we get up to $125 for hive rent and we give the
      > farmer 16 kg of honey for a yard of hives

      I have created a FAQ's this one on my site. As updates come in I will
      add details.

      the link is
      http://shanta.org/cgi-bin/Apis/faq.cgi?sort_field1=category&sort_field2=fname&first_record_to_display=10&records_per_page=10&columns_to_view=category&columns_to_view=question&display_details_view.x=8&display_details_view.y=13&display_details_view=on
      You may have to put the line back together if your reader wraps the
      line.

      --
      Thanks
      Shanta McBain
      Message 2 of 13 , May 6 12:07 PM
        On Tue, 2003-05-06 at 10:48, blackrat779 wrote:
        > Hi,
        > It sounds like you have your sites all sorted, but have you considered
        > your local beekeeping asociation communal appiary? In addition to the
        > subscription to the local branch of the British Beekeeping
        > Association(which includes third party insurance and insurance against
        > enforced destruction) which is about £20, they usually charge in
        > the
        > region of £6 per hive. Just a thought before you give away too
        > much honey.
        > I have the same problem with keeping bees at home, hope this helps.
        This sound like a great Idea! Is there one person responcible for
        disease control and coordination of the yard?

        > Kind Regards,
        > Stuart
        > --- In beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, Christine Headley <chps@g...>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > Dear all
        > >
        > > I'm expecting to get my first hive in the next month. Unfortunately
        > my
        > > garden is small and my husband reluctant (I would have liked to have
        > the
        > > bees close to start with, at least!) so I'm going to have to put
        > them on
        > > someone else's land.
        > >
        > > I have an allotment (patch in a communal vegetable garden, briefly),
        > I'm
        > > also attached to an archery club with a long narrow field in a good
        > > position and we have a friend who has a small farm about six miles
        > away.
        > > All the sites have advantages and disadvantages but, before I
        > approach
        > > anyone, I want an idea about what to offer by way of payment. I'm
        > thinking
        > > of a percentage off a proportion of the honey produced on the site,
        > e.g.
        > > 33% on half the honey, as sales to club members or the farmer,
        > topped up
        > > with money if they don't buy the whole allocation.
        > >
        > > Does this seem reasonable? I want to make a fair offer, but I don't
        > want to
        > > find myself selling nearly all my honey at a knockdown price! In the
        > first
        > > year, they won't get very much, but it would increase along with
        > > production. ... Does anyone have experience of this sort of thing?
        > >

        > > Best wishes
        > > Christine
        > > in southern England
        > >
        > > Christine Headley
        > > Stroud, Gloucestershire, UK
        > > chps@g...

        Thanks
        Shanta McBain

        http://shanta.org >> ski Patrol
      • davidbrowder

          Message 4 of 13 , May 7 1:34 PM
            One or two of quarts of honey per hive would be about right.

            Unless, the bees are on ag land where the person is getting benefit
            (pollinating his squash plants, etc,), where the owner would normally rent a
            hive for $45-90 per year. In this case, swapping out is more than even
            (you'll lose some bees due to spraying unless the farmer is careful in
            application).

          • blackrat779
            Message 5 of 13 , May 9 8:38 AM
              Hi,
              Sorry it took so long for me to reply! Yes there is one person in
              charge and they co ordinate regular preventitive treatment so that
              everyones hives are treated at the same time.
              Stuart

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              > --
              > Thanks
              > Shanta McBain
              >
              > http://shanta.org >> ski Patrol
            • Shanta McBain
              Message 6 of 13 , May 9 9:42 AM
                On Fri, 2003-05-09 at 08:38, blackrat779 wrote:
                > Hi,
                > Sorry it took so long for me to reply! Yes there is one person in
                > charge and they co ordinate regular preventitive treatment so that
                > everyones hives are treated at the same time.

                I can see though that it would be difficult to get them all together.
                You must have to give up control of treatment to the group so that
                things get done. I have one yard, a wintering mating yard, that I share
                with just one other beekeeper. We are also not looking into each others
                hive to see if we are missing anything. Two sets of eyes are better than
                one.

                --
                Thanks
                Shanta McBain
                Message 7 of 13 , May 13 10:04 PM
                  I would suggest you think about how much honey you would get in a poor
                  year. Try not to promise more than a third of this. Also the issue how
                  much honey are the land owners going to consume may be relevant if
                  they only eat 2 Kilograms a year don't give them 20 Kg. Try and think
                  of a benefit to them. The garden and farmer will benefit from
                  pollination. The archery club may benefit from the bees discouraging
                  trespassers. Remember small-scale beekeeping may give a lot of
                  pleasure but you will not make a profitable business from a few hives.
                  Remember with assessing sites. Access is important boxes of honey are
                  heavy.