Re: Scroll button.

  • Pete
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 2 10:28 AM
      --- In Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, Elizabeth Bossert
      <bossertelizabeth@...> wrote:

      > Thank you for your advice. Of course the question pertained to
      Buckfasts as that is what the company suggested that I get.

      Hi again Elizabeth

      I think the advice was good though.

      If you've ordered Buckfast already that's fine, they should be ok.
      But I would think towards future years, given that you take to
      beekeeping.

      I use many bait hives, usually five frame nucleus boxes, but most
      new beekeepers don't have any. Still if you get a spare hive
      (because/if you agree three is a minimum useful number to have) you
      can use it as a bail to get some local FREE bees. Just put a drawn
      frame of comb (pinched from your Buckfasts - or begged from another
      beekeeper)and frames with starter strips (or foundation) into your
      spare box and put it somewhere you think there might be bees. Local
      forest or in town (lots of feral bees live in building cavities) I
      left one on my garage roof and last year got two swarms that way (I
      live in a village). The idea being local feral bees are used to the
      microclimate and the local fauna.

      Have you found and joined your local beekeeping association yet?

      Best regards

      Peter
      Cambridge
    • Elizabeth Bossert
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 2 11:12 AM
        I appreciate your insight.  There seems to be a lot of wisdom and experience in this group!  I have not joined my local beekeeping association yet, as there doesn't seem to be one in my area.  The closest one that I have found via internet is in Washington.  I am in southeast Idaho.  I do know that there are at least 2-3 other beekeepers in my area, though.  Do you think most beekeepers would welcome a phone call from a newby beekeeper as myself?

        <bossertelizabeth@ ...> wrote:

        > Thank you for your advice. Of course the question pertained to
        Buckfasts as that is what the company suggested that I get.

        Hi again Elizabeth

        I think the advice was good though.

        If you've ordered Buckfast already that's fine, they should be ok.
        But I would think towards future years, given that you take to
        beekeeping.

        I use many bait hives, usually five frame nucleus boxes, but most
        new beekeepers don't have any. Still if you get a spare hive
        (because/if you agree three is a minimum useful number to have) you
        can use it as a bail to get some local FREE bees. Just put a drawn
        frame of comb (pinched from your Buckfasts - or begged from another
        beekeeper)and frames with starter strips (or foundation) into your
        spare box and put it somewhere you think there might be bees. Local
        forest or in town (lots of feral bees live in building cavities) I
        left one on my garage roof and last year got two swarms that way (I
        live in a village). The idea being local feral bees are used to the
        microclimate and the local fauna.

        Have you found and joined your local beekeeping association yet?

        Best regards

        Peter
        Cambridge

          God Bless,

               Elizabeth

      • Pete
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 2 11:46 AM
          > I do know that there are at least 2-3 other beekeepers
          > in my area, though. Do you think most beekeepers would
          > welcome a phone call from a newby beekeeper as myself?

          I cannot speak for all beekeepers obviously, but I mentor two or
          three local beginners every year. I find most beeks embrace the
          opportunity to talk bees whenever the opportunity arises, I
          certainly do.

          As the old saying goes, nothing ventured nothing gained. Have a few
          questions ready to ingratiate yourself, like "do you know a good
          place to put a bait hive" "is there a local association I can join"
          if you get in with one you like they might even let you borrow some
          of the expensive kit like extractors. Usually we are only too glad
          to find someone who shares our enthusiasm for the little critters.
          They might even give you some very cheap/free bees!

          Peter
          Cambridge UK
        • Darcy Holleman
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 2 1:56 PM
            I think most beekeepers enjoy their bees so much that they are more than happy to share the knowledge and experience. Don't give up on the association. Check your cooperative extension office, most states have an association, and then local associations as well.

            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 2 2:04 PM
              Try these?

              IDAHO BEEKEEPING ASSOCIATIONS

              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 2 3:07 PM
                Thank you so much!!  I don't know where Marsing is, but Blackfoot is a 15-20 minute drive--very close to home.