Re: 'Fair weather friends'

  • Pete
    Message 1 of 50 , Feb 1 2:43 AM
      --- In Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, "Rikd Cmei5" <londheart@...>
      wrote:

      > --- In Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, axeman axeman <axeman_002000@>
      > wrote:
      > >

      > > > They would surely at least seek shelter, if
      > > > provided?
      > >
      > > Hello again!
      > > In my observations, and I still have a lot to learn,
      > > some of the drones will try to get back inside, only
      > > to be kicked back out. And when I say 'kicked' out
      > > they are mostly carried out and dumped to the ground
      > > under the landing board. Most won't try getting back
      > > in. They just sort of wander around until the yellow
      > > jackets find them and eat them.
      >
      > This is the sort of thing that I envisaged. It is odd, unusual and
      > scarcely, therefore, material for platitudinous generalisations
      about
      > nature. In fact the only creature I know of prone to behave in a
      > similar way is humanity, which is perhaps why it caused me so much
      > distress and confusion at the time of my attempt to make mental
      note
      > of it.
      >
      > Rikd

      As a new beekeeper I thought similarly. Finding the fall cull of
      drones quite disturbing, I collected up a handful of the poor
      shivering creatures and brought them in to a warm windowsill and
      gave them thimble full of warm sugary tea each; which revived them
      promptly. However all subsequent attempts to teach them self defence
      and assertiveness prior to returning them to their hive failed! It
      seems drones willingly embrace their fate, only feigning a desire to
      spend the winter with the female workers. One admitted the constant
      complaints about having to do all the housework in the hive made the
      prospect of assisted suicide preferable.

      I really should get round to writing up the experiment properly
      sometime, ho-hum.

      Peter
      Cambridge UK
    • Darcy Holleman
      Message 50 of 50 , Feb 1 5:42 PM
         I live out on five acres in the country, but I have my hives twenty feet from my porch, and next to where we park our cars and besides getting buzzed by a curious bee every once in a while they are never a bother. I can't speak personally about close neighbors but I do know people who keep bees in close neighborhoods and never have a problem. They do have fencerows that cause to bees to rise once they leave the hives and fly out and above "people level". In my case most of the bees rise up over the house to go foraging. I can sit outside the hives and never get bothered.