New file uploaded to Beekeeping

  • Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com
    Message 1 of 24 , Jan 26, 2008
      Hello,

      a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the Beekeeping
      group.

      File : /bee problems 007.JPG
      Uploaded by : miteke <miteke@...>
      Description : What is this?

      You can access this file at the URL:

      Regards,

      miteke <miteke@...>
    • Michael Kelly
      Message 2 of 24 , Jan 26, 2008
        I didn't know a better way of uploading an image so I put it in the
        files folder. I'll delete it later.

        What happened to my hive?

        Just two weeks ago I took some apistan out and the hive seemed
        healthy. Today I was moving the hive and it seemed light and quiet.
        Sure enough they were all dead and a mouse had moved in.

        Please take a look at the pic and see if you can help me iagnose the
        problem. We've had extremely mild weather the first half of winter
        and a old snap FINALLY hit recently. They still had honey in the
        supers, though there was little left in the hive body.

        Did they just run out of food, or is it something more insideous?

        --- In Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com wrote:

        > Hello,

        > a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the Beekeeping
        > group.
        >
        > File : /bee problems 007.JPG
        > Uploaded by : miteke <miteke@...>
        > Description : What is this?
        >
        > You can access this file at the URL:
        20007.JPG

        http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/groups/original/members/web/index.htm
        lfiles

        > Regards,
        >
        > miteke <miteke@...>

      • Mike
        Message 3 of 24 , Jan 26, 2008
          This is just a guess, but those cells appear to be full of small hive
          beetle larvae. They are insidious, since the nurse bees will feed
          hive beetle larvae as if they were bee larvae. The comb in the image
          appears to be wet. Did you notice a sort of slime?

          The small hive beetle larvae leave a slime trail everywhere, making
          it impossible for the bees to cap cells. Once a hive beetle
          infestation reaches a certain point, the bees will simply pick up and
          leave. They didn't die. They just got fed up and moved out.

          You will probably have to scrap most or all of the comb in the
          vacated hive. You should also treat the ground under and around your
          hives with GardStar 40 EC. Follow the label directions. That will
          interrupt the life cycle of the hive beetle.

          Mike

          Message 4 of 24 , Jan 26, 2008
            I don't se any slime trails anywhere, nor any signs of beetles. The
            hive was pretty empty except for the two mice. When you say larvae
            are you talking about the things that look like eggs? They didn't
            appear to be larvae to me, but what do I know.

            --- In Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, "Mike" <mike@...> wrote:

            > This is just a guess, but those cells appear to be full of small
            hive
            > beetle larvae. They are insidious, since the nurse bees will feed
            > hive beetle larvae as if they were bee larvae. The comb in the
            image
            > appears to be wet. Did you notice a sort of slime?
            >
            > The small hive beetle larvae leave a slime trail everywhere, making
            > it impossible for the bees to cap cells. Once a hive beetle
            > infestation reaches a certain point, the bees will simply pick up
            and
            > leave. They didn't die. They just got fed up and moved out.
            >
            > You will probably have to scrap most or all of the comb in the
            > vacated hive. You should also treat the ground under and around
            your
            > hives with GardStar 40 EC. Follow the label directions. That will
            > interrupt the life cycle of the hive beetle.
            >

            > Mike
            >
            > --- In Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Kelly" <miteke@> wrote:
            > >
            > > I didn't know a better way of uploading an image so I put it in
            the
            > > files folder. I'll delete it later.
            > >
            > > What happened to my hive?
            > >
            > > Just two weeks ago I took some apistan out and the hive seemed
            > > healthy. Today I was moving the hive and it seemed light and
            quiet.
            > > Sure enough they were all dead and a mouse had moved in.
            > >
            > > Please take a look at the pic and see if you can help me iagnose
            > the
            > > problem. We've had extremely mild weather the first half of
            winter
            > > and a old snap FINALLY hit recently. They still had honey in the
            > > supers, though there was little left in the hive body.
            > >
            > > Did they just run out of food, or is it something more insideous?

          • Mike McDonald
            Message 5 of 24 , Jan 27, 2008
              You could contact your state apiarist or a nearby large university's
              entomology department. Either will be able to identify what you found in the
              hive. Your local ag extension will now better who you should start with.

              The mouse, I think, is probably a late comer and has little to do with
              finding an empty hive. Were it me, I would focus on whatever those eggs or
              larvae are, since they are definitely not bees.

              Was the hive full of dead bees, or simply empty?

              Mike

              Message 6 of 24 , Jan 27, 2008
                Mike McDonald <mike@...> wrote:
                Were it me, I would focus on whatever those eggs or
                larvae are, since they are definitely not bees.

                Was the hive full of dead bees, or simply empty?

                Was the white residue crystalized honey?  From the photo, it didn't look like larvae to me.  Didn't look like any honey crystalization I had seen before either, but it didn't look like larvae either.  Were the white globules active and wiggling?

              • Michael Kelly
                Message 7 of 24 , Jan 28, 2008
                  > Was the white residue crystalized honey? From the photo, it didn't
                  look like larvae to me. It doesn't look like any honey crystalization
                  I had seen before either, but it didn't look like larvae either. Were
                  the white globules active and wiggling?

                  It doesn't look like crystals, more like globs. The picture is pretty
                  good and they look just as they do in the picture. No there is no
                  movement. And I don't know if the eggs/globs were laid pre or post
                  death. There were about 100 dead bees in the hive. Oh, last time I
                  looked I also noticed an abandoned queen cell at the bottom. Perhaps
                  the queen just kicked the bucket and things started moving in?
                • Michael Kelly
                  Message 8 of 24 , Jan 28, 2008
                    --- In Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Kelly" <miteke@...> wrote:

                    > > Was the white residue crystalized honey? From the photo, it didn't
                    > look like larvae to me. It doesn't look like any honey crystalization
                    > I had seen before either, but it didn't look like larvae either. Were
                    > the white globules active and wiggling?
                    > >

                    > It doesn't look like crystals, more like globs. The picture is pretty
                    > good and they look just as they do in the picture. No there is no
                    > movement. And I don't know if the eggs/globs were laid pre or post
                    > death. There were about 100 dead bees in the hive. Oh, last time I
                    > looked I also noticed an abandoned queen cell at the bottom. Perhaps
                    > the queen just kicked the bucket and things started moving in?

                    Another interesting thing, now that you call my attention to it, is
                    that the globs are only in the honey cells, not the yellow cells which
                    I assume are the beginnings of brood cells.
                  • Pete
                    Message 9 of 24 , Jan 28, 2008
                      Hi Michael

                      I think the yellow is possibly pollen?

                      Sorry, but I've never seen anything like the white stuff, in places
                      it looks like eggs in others it looks like crystals. If I had to
                      guess I'd be asking where you are and might it be small hive beetle?

                      What I would definitely do is freeze all the combs to kill any eggs
                      and get a sample sent to the beekeeping inspectorate to get an
                      identification.

                      Sorry I can't help more.

                      Peter
                      Cambridge UK

                      Message 10 of 24 , Jan 29, 2008
                        I live outside of Pittsburgh.

                        Message 11 of 24 , May 12, 2008
                          Hello,

                          a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the Beekeeping
                          group.

                          File : /number 7 wbc hive.pdf
                          Uploaded by : jeffbeck_av8r <jeff@...>
                          Description : WBC Information

                          jeffbeck_av8r <jeff@...>
                        • Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com
                          Message 12 of 24 , Nov 10, 2009
                            Hello,

                            a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the Beekeeping
                            group.

                            File : /apicultura43.pdf
                            Uploaded by : apiculturamundial <apiculturamundial@...>
                            Description : Beekeeping in Spanish Free

                            Message 13 of 24 , Dec 16, 2009
                              Hello,

                              a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the Beekeeping
                              group.

                              File : /apicultura44.pdf
                              Uploaded by : apiculturamundial <apiculturamundial@...>
                              Description : December Beekeeping Without Borders

                              Message 14 of 24 , Jan 12, 2010
                                Hello,

                                a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the Beekeeping
                                group.

                                File : /apicultura45.pdf
                                Uploaded by : apiculturamundial <apiculturamundial@...>
                                Description : news apiculture january

                                Message 15 of 24 , May 15, 2010
                                  Hello,

                                  a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the Beekeeping
                                  group.

                                  File : /apicultura48.pdf
                                  Uploaded by : apiculturamundial <apiculturamundial@...>
                                  Description : 48 Beekeeping Without Borders

                                  Message 16 of 24 , May 15, 2010
                                    --- On Sat, 5/15/10, Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com <Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                                    a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the Beekeeping
                                    group.

                                    File : /apicultura48.pdf
                                    Uploaded by : apiculturamundial <apiculturamundial@...>
                                    Description : 48 Beekeeping Without Borders

                                    What is the file about?  What is its purpose?  Even on "Beekeeping" I am not going to open any file willy-nilly.  Tell me what it is and why I should be interested in it and I shall consider opening it.   Otherwise .............

                                    Mike in LA

                                  • tomzboxathotmaildotcom
                                    Message 17 of 24 , May 15, 2010
                                      > What is the file about? What is its purpose? Even on "Beekeeping" I am not going to open any file willy-nilly. Tell me what it is and why I should be interested in it and I shall consider opening it. Otherwise .............
                                      >
                                      > Mike in LA

                                      MIKE! Take a deep breath! You should have recognized what this is.
                                      The file is a .pdf of the May 2010 issue of Apicultura sin Fronteras (Beekeeping without Borders). Issues have been posted here since at least last year. The articles are repeated in four languages. It's not gonna hurt your pewter, and if you open it you might learn something.

                                      FYI, the message is an automated notification message that goes out every time a file is uploaded to this Yahoo group. The wording is exactly the same for every file every time. It can't easily be changed or added to. You're interrogating a robot.

                                      Best,
                                      Tom W.
                                      http://awholenotherbeeblog.blogspot.com/
                                    • Stephen Johnson

                                        Message 19 of 24 , May 16, 2010
                                          Actually Mike has a valid reason for concern. The largest threat to computer viruses has shifted from Microsoft programs to Adobe Acrobat being the portal into the computer. I would urge everyone who hasn't updated their reader program in the past month to do so. This will provide the security patches necessary to protect your computer from harmful viruses. Needless to say a good, up to date, protection system on your machine is necessary as well.

                                          That being said, I have looked at the pdf file and didn't have any issues. The English version of the document is on page 11 - 12 of the 18 page file. It would have been great if the "newspaperw" would have translated all the articles into the various different languages so we can all share in the information. From the English version, the articles are on the asian honey bee being in Australia, and the ongoing challenges with illegal import of Chinese honey in the US.

                                          Thanks for sharing the file.

                                          Gary

                                          --- In Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, Stephen Johnson <reeferret@...> wrote:

                                          > FYI, Yahoo is pretty good about filtering out ANY kind of virus or malware
                                          > from passing through. I personally assure that it is not a problem.
                                          >
                                          > On Sat, May 15, 2010 at 5:46 AM, Mike S <mws1112004@...> wrote:
                                          >

                                          > > --- On *Sat, 5/15/10, Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com <
                                          > > Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com>* wrote:
                                          > > a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the Beekeeping
                                          > > group.
                                          > >
                                          > > File : /apicultura48.pdf
                                          > > Uploaded by : apiculturamundial <apiculturamundial@...<http://us.mc534.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=apiculturamundial%40yahoo.com.ar>>
                                          > >
                                          > > Description : 48 Beekeeping Without Borders
                                          > >
                                          > > What is the file about? What is its purpose? Even on "Beekeeping" I am
                                          > > not going to open any file willy-nilly. Tell me what it is and why I should
                                          > > be interested in it and I shall consider opening it. Otherwise
                                          > >
                                          > > Mike in LA

                                        • Web Williams
                                          Message 20 of 24 , May 16, 2010
                                            After reading the puzzled remarks about the PDF file for the "apicultura"
                                            newsletter, and seeing that part of it was in English, I ventured over to
                                            the group website to see what the big deal was. PDF files, generally
                                            speaking, are only compressed text files and carry little chance of a virus
                                            or malware payload. Pay close attention to the file suffix of ANY file. If
                                            you see .exe, .com, .bat, or .pif as a file suffix, THEN and ONLY THEN
                                            is there sufficient cause to raise the alarm. Filenames with those suffixes
                                            will cause your computer to "run code" contained within the files, and
                                            could possibly do damage to your computer.

                                            On the other hand, after reading the English language portion of the
                                            newsletter,
                                            it told about an Asian Bee invasion in Australia and Chinese honey imports
                                            into the U.S., not necessarily anything that an American home beekeeper
                                            would have any sort of concern or interest about. In fact, the
                                            untranslated parts
                                            of the newsletter seemed to have much more "meat and potatoes" content, and
                                            I wonder why those parts were not translated? The part that was
                                            translated into
                                            English seems designed to cause readers to become overly-sensitive to (what
                                            seem to be) political/geographic issues as opposed to being "how-to"
                                            type articles.
                                            I suppose a commercial entity would enjoy reading the publication, but a
                                            rank
                                            beginner like myself who wants to learn beekeeping will find little
                                            value in the
                                            English section.

                                            Just my two cents worth... kindest regards, -Web Williams, Myrtle Beach, SC
                                          • FarmerBrown49@aol.com
                                            Message 21 of 24 , May 16, 2010
                                              Just in case anyone needs the link for Adobe Reader here it is http://get.adobe.com/reader/

                                              Sammy
                                              Buy Foreign.
                                              Help put another American out of a job.
                                              That next American job lost maybe yours.
                                              http://www.brownsbees.com

                                              In a message dated 5/16/2010 6:54:14 A.M. Central Daylight Time, ggates5114@... writes:

                                              Actually Mike has a valid reason for concern. The largest threat to computer viruses has shifted from Microsoft programs to Adobe Acrobat being the portal into the computer. I would urge everyone who hasn't updated their reader program in the past month to do so. This will provide the security patches necessary to protect your computer from harmful viruses. Needless to say a good, up to date, protection system on your machine is necessary as well.

                                              That being said, I have looked at the pdf file and didn't have any issues. The English version of the document is on page 11 - 12 of the 18 page file. It would have been great if the "newspaperw" would have translated all the articles into the various different languages so we can all share in the information. From the English version, the articles are on the asian honey bee being in Australia, and the ongoing challenges with illegal import of Chinese honey in the US.

                                              Thanks for sharing the file.

                                              Gary

                                              --- In

                                              Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, Stephen Johnson <reeferret@...> wrote:

                                              > FYI, Yahoo is pretty good about filtering out ANY kind of virus or malware
                                              > from passing through. I personally assure that it is not a problem.
                                              >
                                              > On Sat, May 15, 2010 at 5:46 AM, Mike S <mws1112004@...> wrote:
                                              >

                                              > > --- On *Sat, 5/15/10,
                                              Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com <

                                              Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com>* wrote:
                                              > > a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the Beekeeping
                                              > > group.
                                              > >
                                              > > File : /apicultura48.pdf
                                              > > Uploaded by : apiculturamundial <apiculturamundial@...<
                                              http://us.mc534.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=apiculturamundial%40yahoo.com.ar>>

                                              > > Description : 48 Beekeeping Without Borders
                                              > >
                                              > > What is the file about? What is its purpose? Even on "Beekeeping" I am
                                              > > not going to open any file willy-nilly. Tell me what it is and why I should
                                              > > be interested in it and I shall consider opening it. Otherwise
                                              > >
                                              > > Mike in LA

                                            • Stephen Johnson
                                              Message 22 of 24 , May 16, 2010
                                                Thank you so much for taking the time the look up that file for us and tell us what it was all about.  Personally I would rather cut/paste such stuff in the body of my post rather than forcing people to make an extra click and look it up themselves.
                                                On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 4:50 AM, Gary <ggates5114@...> wrote:  Actually Mike has a valid reason for concern. The largest threat to computer viruses has shifted from Microsoft programs to Adobe Acrobat being the portal into the computer. I would urge everyone who hasn't updated their reader program in the past month to do so. This will provide the security patches necessary to protect your computer from harmful viruses. Needless to say a good, up to date, protection system on your machine is necessary as well.

                                                That being said, I have looked at the pdf file and didn't have any issues. The English version of the document is on page 11 - 12 of the 18 page file. It would have been great if the "newspaperw" would have translated all the articles into the various different languages so we can all share in the information. From the English version, the articles are on the asian honey bee being in Australia, and the ongoing challenges with illegal import of Chinese honey in the US.

                                                Thanks for sharing the file.

                                                Gary

                                                --- In Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, Stephen Johnson <reeferret@...> wrote:

                                                > FYI, Yahoo is pretty good about filtering out ANY kind of virus or malware
                                                > from passing through. I personally assure that it is not a problem.
                                                >
                                                > On Sat, May 15, 2010 at 5:46 AM, Mike S <mws1112004@...> wrote:
                                                >

                                                > > --- On *Sat, 5/15/10, Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com <
                                                > > Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com>* wrote:
                                                > > a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the Beekeeping
                                                > > group.
                                                > >
                                                > > File : /apicultura48.pdf
                                                > > Uploaded by : apiculturamundial <apiculturamundial@...<http://us.mc534.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=apiculturamundial%40yahoo.com.ar>>

                                                > > Description : 48 Beekeeping Without Borders
                                                > >
                                                > > What is the file about? What is its purpose? Even on "Beekeeping" I am
                                                > > not going to open any file willy-nilly. Tell me what it is and why I should
                                                > > be interested in it and I shall consider opening it. Otherwise
                                                > >
                                                > > Mike in LA

                                              • ocallagdan
                                                Message 23 of 24 , Jul 21 5:58 AM
                                                  I hesitiate to respond as this isn't beekeeping, BUT...
                                                  This is outdated--and dangerous--advice.
                                                  PDF files do carry virus and malware payload--they are now one of the attack vectors of choice. The files are no longer simply 'compressed text files', but now can contain javascript, flash (.swf) objects, and other code capable of malicious activity. If you Google 'pdf malware' you'll get over 13 million results!
                                                  (I do IT security professionally so I can afford to farm!)

                                                  Dan O'Callaghan, CISSP, GCFA

                                                  --- In Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, Web Williams <kr4wm@...> wrote:

                                                  <snip> PDF files, generally speaking, are only compressed text files and carry little chance of a virus or malware payload. </snip>
                                                • Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com
                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Mar 11, 2014
                                                    Hello,

                                                    a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the Beekeeping
                                                    group.

                                                    File : /20130309_133228.jpg
                                                    Uploaded by : intercrime2 <jmattiaccio@...>
                                                    Description : Florida Orange Grove Bees