equipment

  • JP Traverse
    Message 1 of 8 , May 1 11:11 AM
      Hey y'all,

           I was wondering if any of you know were i can get beekeeping equipment.

      Joshua

      Do you Yahoo!?
    • Ferguson Apiaries

        Message 3 of 8 , May 1 7:06 PM
          Joshua,

          Try this link!!

          http://www.beeequipment.com/

        • shanonstoy@aol.com

            Message 5 of 8 , May 3 7:07 AM

              shanonstoy@... wrote:

              Josh -

              There are alot of companies out there - all who do mail order.  Where do you live - we may be able to point you in hte direction of a supplier you can drive to. - Martin

              I live near GR MI.

              Thanks,

              Joshua

              "There is no such thing as a coincidence; everything that happens is God's will."

              Do you Yahoo!?
            • Richard Bruno
              Message 6 of 8 , May 3 5:17 PM

                Try this link.  There are a couple in Michigan

                Rich
                There are alot of companies out there - all who do mail order.  Where do you live - we may be able to point you in hte direction of a supplier you can drive to. - Martin

                I live near GR MI.

                Thanks,

                Joshua

                "There is no such thing as a coincidence; everything that happens is God's will."

                Do you Yahoo!?

              • Cara &Tom Patterson
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 22, 2003
                  City Council unanimously passed the introduction of the beekeeping
                  bill last night at it's Introduction. The Final reading of the bill
                  be on August 11, 2003. City staff expects it to go forward with no
                  problems. If all goes as expected it will become law one month after
                  that. I am trying to get copy of the bill that I can post without
                  having to retype the whole thing by hand.

                  What a turn around from last October when the council was at the Final
                  reading to pass an Animal Control ordinance that was pages long and
                  contained one sentence that would ban beekeeping!

                  Tom Patterson
                • Cara &Tom Patterson
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 23, 2003
                    Here is the beekeeping ordinance from the Aurora City Clerk's Office.

                    ORDINANCE NO. 2003-51

                    A BILL

                    FOR AN ORDINANCE AMENDING CHAPTER 14 OF THE CITY CODE OF THE CITY OF
                    AURORA, COLORADO, BY ADDING A NEW SECTION 14-15 RELATING TO BEEKEEPING

                    __________________________

                    WHEREAS, the City Council of the City of Aurora, Colorado has found
                    that honeybees can be maintained within populated areas in reasonable
                    densities without causing a nuisance if the bees are properly located
                    and carefully managed; and

                    WHEREAS, honeybees are of benefit to mankind by providing agriculture,
                    fruit and garden pollination services and by furnishing honey, wax,
                    and other useful products; and

                    WHEREAS, passage of this ordinance is in the interests of the health,
                    safety and welfare of the citizens.

                    NOW THEREFORE, BE IT ORDAINED BY THE CITY COUNCIL OF THE CITY OF
                    AURORA, COLORADO:

                    Section 1. That Chapter 14 of the City Code of the City of
                    Aurora, Colorado, is hereby amended by adding a new section, to be
                    numbered 14-15, which section reads as follows:

                    SEC. 14-15 BEEKEEPING.

                    (A) DEFINITIONS. THE FOLLOWING WORDS, TERMS AND PHRASES, WHEN USED
                    IN THIS SECTION, SHALL HAVE MEANINGS ASCRIBED TO THEM IN THIS SECTION:

                    (1) APIARY SHALL MEAN A PLACE WHERE BEE COLONIES ARE KEPT.

                    (2) BEE SHALL MEAN ANY STAGE OF THE COMMON DOMESTIC HONEY
                    BEE, APIS MELLIFERA SPECIES.

                    (3) COLONY SHALL MEAN A HIVE AND ITS EQUIPMENT AND
                    APPURTENANCES, INCLUDING BEES, COMB, HONEY, POLLEN, AND BROOD.

                    (4) HIVE SHALL MEAN A STRUCTURE INTENDED FOR THE HOUSING OF A
                    BEE COLONY.

                    (5) TRACT SHALL MEAN A CONTIGUOUS PARCEL OF LAND UNDER COMMON
                    OWNERSHIP.

                    (B) HIVES. ALL BEE COLONIES SHALL BE KEPT IN INSPECTABLE TYPE HIVES
                    WITH REMOVABLE COMBS, WHICH SHALL BE KEPT IN SOUND AND USABLE
                    CONDITION.

                    (C) SETBACK. ALL HIVES SHALL BE LOCATED AT LEAST FIVE FEET FROM ANY
                    ADJOINING PROPERTY WITH THE BACK OF THE HIVE FACING THE NEAREST
                    ADJOINING PROPERTY.

                    (D) FENCING OF FLYWAYS. IN EACH INSTANCE IN WHICH ANY COLONY IS
                    SITUATED WITHIN TWENTY-FIVE (25) FEET OF A DEVELOPED PUBLIC OR PRIVATE
                    PROPERTY LINE OF THE TRACT UPON WHICH THE APIARY IS SITUATED, AS
                    MEASURED FROM THE NEAREST POINT ON THE HIVE TO THE PROPERTY LINE, THE
                    BEEKEEPER SHALL ESTABLISH AND MAINTAIN A FLYWAY BARRIER AT LEAST SIX
                    (6) FEET IN HEIGHT CONSISTING OF A SOLID WALL OR FENCE PARALLEL TO THE
                    PROPERTY LINE AND EXTENDING TEN (10) FEET BEYOND THE COLONY IN EACH
                    DIRECTION SO THAT ALL BEES ARE FORCED TO FLY AT AN ELEVATION OF AT
                    LEAST SIX (6) FEET ABOVE GROUND LEVEL OVER THE PROPERTY LINES IN THE
                    VICINITY OF THE APIARY.

                    (E) WATER. EACH BEEKEEPER SHALL ENSURE THAT A CONVENIENT SOURCE OF
                    WATER IS AVAILABLE AT ALL TIMES TO THE BEES SO THAT THE BEES WILL NOT
                    CONGREGATE AT SWIMMING POOLS, BIBCOCKS, PET WATER BOWLS, BIRDBATHS OR
                    OTHER WATER SOURCES WHERE THEY MAY CAUSE HUMAN, BIRD OR DOMESTIC PET
                    CONTACT. THE WATER SHALL BE MAINTAINED SO AS NOT TO BECOME STAGNANT.

                    (F) MAINTENANCE. EACH BEEKEEPER SHALL ENSURE THAT NO BEE COMB OR
                    OTHER MATERIALS THAT MIGHT ENCOURAGE ROBBING ARE LEFT UPON THE GROUNDS
                    OF THE APIARY SITE. UPON THEIR REMOVAL FROM THE HIVE, ALL SUCH
                    MATERIALS SHALL PROMPTLY BE DISPOSED OF IN A SEALED CONTAINER OR
                    PLACED WITHIN A BUILDING OR OTHER BEE-PROOF ENCLOSURE.

                    (G) QUEENS. IN ANY INSTANCE IN WHICH A COLONY EXHIBITS UNUSUALLY
                    AGGRESSIVE CHARACTERISTICS BY STINGING OR ATTEMPTING TO STING WITHOUT
                    DUE PROVOCATION OR EXHIBITS AN UNUSUAL DISPOSITION TOWARDS SWARMING,
                    IT SHALL BE THE DUTY OF THE BEEKEEPER TO RE-QUEEN THE COLONY. QUEENS
                    SHALL BE SELECTED FROM STOCK BRED FOR GENTLENESS AND NONSWARMING
                    CHARACTERISTICS.

                    (H) COLONY DENSITIES.

                    (1) IT SHALL BE UNLAWFUL TO KEEP MORE THAN THE FOLLOWING NUMBER OF
                    COLONIES ON ANY TRACT WITHIN THE CITY, BASED UPON THE SIZE OR
                    CONFIGURATION OF THE TRACT ON WHICH THE APIARY IS SITUATED:
                    (A) ONE-QUARTER (1/4) ACRE OR LESS TRACT SIZE - TWO (2) COLONIES;
                    (B) MORE THAN ONE-QUARTER (1/4) ACRE BUT LESS THAN ONE-HALF (1/2)
                    ACRE TRACT SIZE - FOUR (4) COLONIES;
                    (C) ONE-HALF (1/2) ACRE OR MORE BUT LESS THAN ONE (1) ACRE TRACT
                    SIZE - SIX (6) COLONIES;
                    (D) ONE (1) ACRE OR LARGER TRACT SIZE - EIGHT (8) COLONIES;
                    (E) REGARDLESS OF TRACT SIZE, WHERE ALL HIVES ARE SITUATED AT
                    LEAST TWO HUNDRED (200) FEET IN ANY DIRECTION FROM ALL PROPERTY LINES
                    OF THE TRACT ON WHICH THE APIARY IS SITUATED, THERE SHALL BE NO LIMIT
                    TO THE NUMBER OF COLONIES.
                    (2) FOR EACH TWO (2) COLONIES AUTHORIZED UNDER COLONY DENSITIES,
                    SUBSECTION (H)(1) ABOVE, THERE MAY BE MAINTAINED UPON THE SAME TRACT
                    ONE NUCLEUS COLONY IN A HIVE STRUCTURE NOT EXCEEDING ONE (1) STANDARD
                    NINE AND FIVE-EIGHTHS (9 5/8) INCH DEPTH TEN (10) FRAME HIVE BODY WITH
                    NO SUPERS ATTACHED AS REQUIRED FROM TIME TO TIME FOR MANAGEMENT OF
                    SWARMS. EACH SUCH NUCLEUS COLONY SHALL BE DISPOSED OF OR COMBINED
                    WITH AN AUTHORIZED COLONY WITHIN THIRTY (30) DAYS AFTER THE DATE IT IS
                    ACQUIRED.
                    (I) PROHIBITED. THE KEEPING BY ANY PERSON OF BEE COLONIES IN THE CITY
                    NOT IN STRICT COMPLIANCE WITH THIS SECTION IS PROHIBITED. ANY BEE
                    COLONY NOT RESIDING IN A HIVE STRUCTURE INTENDED FOR BEEKEEPING, OR
                    ANY SWARM OF BEES, OR ANY COLONY RESIDING IN A STANDARD OR HOMEMADE
                    HIVE WHICH, BY VIRTUE OF ITS CONDITION, HAS OBVIOUSLY BEEN ABANDONED
                    BY THE BEEKEEPER, IS UNLAWFUL AND MAY BE SUMMARILY DESTROYED OR
                    REMOVED FROM THE CITY BY THE CITY MANAGER OR DESIGNEE.

                    Section 2. That all ordinances or parts of ordinances of the City
                    Code of the City of Aurora, Colorado in conflict herewith are
                    expressly repealed.

                    Section 3. That, pursuant to section 5-5 of the Charter of
                    the City of Aurora, Colorado, the second publication of this ordinance
                    shall be by reference, utilizing the ordinance title.

                    INTRODUCED, READ AND ORDERED PUBLISHED this 21st day of July,
                    2003.

                    PASSED AND ORDERED PUBLISHED BY REFERENCE this _____________

                    ATTEST:

                    DEBRA JOHNSON, City Clerk