Re: Cell Drawing - comments please

  • dickbeekeeper
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 30, 2003
      --- In beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, shanonstoy@a... wrote:

      >To try and accomplish my goal of drawing the foundation out, I
      removed the queen excluder on Sunday

      FWIW, I've never heard anyone say they had good luck getting bees to
      draw out comb above a queen excluder.

      Regards,
      Dick Allen
    • tlcrosley
      Message 2 of 7 , May 5 6:16 PM
        Last summer was my first experience with my first hive. My bees drew out 3
        supers of new foundation above a queen excluder. We ended up with 70 pounds
        of honey. I plan on doing the same this year, it seemed to work well.
        Leah

        > >To try and accomplish my goal of drawing the foundation out, I
        > removed the queen excluder on Sunday
        >
        > FWIW, I've never heard anyone say they had good luck getting bees to
        > draw out comb above a queen excluder.
        >
        > Regards,
        > Dick Allen

      • rick
        Message 3 of 7 , May 6 8:12 AM
          martin,
          first, bees will not draw out comb into foundation
          without a honey flow unless they are being fed. only
          the nurse bees can draw out foundation, and they dont
          like going thru the excluder unless they have a reason
          to. i put a frame of brood in the center of the the
          foundation, this gets them upstairs pretty quick.
          remember, it takes 8 pounds of honey to get one pound
          of wax drawn out! if your goal with this hive this
          year is to get drawn comb, keep a feeder with 1 to 1
          sugar syrup on them so they can keep up the pace even
          in bad weather. dont forget to leave yoour name at
          your county extension office for bee removal. swarm
          bees are great at drawing out foundation!!
          hope that you have a great year with your bees!
          rick

          http://search.yahoo.com
        • shanonstoy@aol.com
          Message 4 of 7 , May 6 9:42 AM
            Thanks Rick & everyone else -

            After my note, I removed the excluder and to date, this hive has drawn out 16 full frames. I am using them to build cell for my other two hives that I started from a package & a split three weeks ago. Syrup consumption is not bad - about 1.5 litres a day and has not effected the honey being brought into the lower chambers at all. (They are almost full, so I expect to leave several frames 2 on each side next to the wall for them to fill for harvest later.

            Martin