Re: [Beekeeping] Re:Thick honey

  • Bill Chmelik
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 5, 2007
      It sounds like your honey is granulating, most often this is a function of the type of nectar that was gathered for the honey. Usually you can liquefy the honey by slowly heating it.

      Stephen Hart wrote:
      Can someone explain to me why my honey is becoming so thick?
      I harvested about four weeks ago and left the honey in clean, sealed 5 gallon buckets.  Today the honey is the consistency of margarine.  This is a recurring problem.
      I use an extractor and gravity filter the honey three times through 5 gallon paint strainers.  My hives are in S. Calif.
      Thanks for your help.
      Steve

      --
      Bill Chmelik
      East Central Mississippi

      Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" - Benjamin Franklin

    • Mike Stoops
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 6, 2007
        Mike <mike.cajun@...> wrote:
        Hi Steve,

        Did you heat it when you were filtering it?  Surely it's not starting to crystallize that soon after extraction.. ..

        Mike (in WA)

        Honey crystallizing quickly is not all that unusual.  Honey from carnoba has to be extracted almost immediately from the comb when it is capped or it will crystallize in the comb.  Heather honey is almost the same way.  Fall honeys tend to crystallize faster than the lighter colored summer honeys.  Honeys from different sources crystallize at different rates, some seemlingly never crystallizing.

      • Ruary Rudd
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 6, 2007
          Hi Mike,

          Not quite true as regards Heather it is hard to extract but this is not because of granulation but because the honey is thixotropic.

          Ruary