RE: [SPAM] Re: [SPAM]Re: [Beekeeping] queens

  • Ruary Rudd
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 1, 2007
      The clipping of a quenne does not prevent swarming, it only delays it. With an unclipped queen the swarm issues when the queen cell is capped. When the queen is clipped the swarm will fly after the new queen emerges. The swarm flies with the new queen.

      Marking the queen makes it easier for you to find her, and you can check whther she has been superseded.
      Ruary

      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 1, 2007
        Why do you say the queen has to mate with her offspring drones? Clipping is
        done after the queen has been mated. Also the queen flies to drone
        congregation areas where drone from quite a distnace congregate for the
        chance to mate wit5h queens.

        Ruary

        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 1, 2007
          I think the confusion is about how queens mate. The virgin queen flies
          out of the hive within a few days of hatching and mates with a whole
          bunch of drones. The semen is stored in a special organ. She never
          mates again.

          I LOVE marked queens. They are so much easier to find when you need
          to, for splitting hives and so on. If I were to buy a queen, I'd pay
          the extra little bit to have her marked. We are not in an africanized
          area and so we raise our own queens. We mark them with a dot of enamel
          paint in the thorax. It is highly recommended to have marked queens in
          an africanized area so that you can see if the queen has been replaced
          by a possible africanized one.

          Swarming can be prevented, but only by diligent management. In the
          early spring, we start looking in all our 150 - 200 hives every 9
          days. We manipulate the hives to make sure there is plenty of room so
          the queen does not feel crowded. They will still eventually make queen
          cells. That's another thing we watch for. When they do, we split the
          hives. It is not recommended to use the swarm queens for the split
          hive, though, especially in an africanized area. She could mate with
          africanized drones.

          Lynn

          --- In Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, "Ruary Rudd" <rrudd@...> wrote:

          > Why do you say the queen has to mate with her offspring drones?
          Clipping is
          > done after the queen has been mated. Also the queen flies to drone
          > congregation areas where drone from quite a distnace congregate for the
          > chance to mate wit5h queens.
        • M. H. Bice
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 1, 2007
            I've had swarms leave with a clipped queen - they just didn't get very far. I've found them in the concrete blocks the original hive was placed on. (They even started building comb so they may have been there several days - I have to work I day job, so I would have missed them swarming.) Luckily, I was able to scrape the comb off and place them in a new hive.

            It was still a mess, so preventing swaming still beats moving a hive off its stand, scraping comb off concrete, and getting a few stings in the process! While I was doing all of this, I spotted the queen which was the old marked and clipped queen - obviously didn't fly very far from the hive and they decided to build under the hive in the hive stand. I've also heard of clipped queens going to nearby low branches near a hive.

            Melissa
            Mobile, AL