Which Method of Packaging Comb Honey Do You Use?

  • Joseph A. Clark
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 2, 2007
      I'm considering starting to sell comb honey in the spring. I have
      never done this before, just raw honey in the bottle.

      For those of you who do sell comb honey, I have a few questions.

      Do you use thin foundation designed for comb honey?
      How do you cut the foundation? The last time I tried to get comb
      honey for a friend, I had a mess all over the cookie sheet I used to
      hold the frame, not to mention all the reinforcing wires I had to
      pull out. ;)

      Do you use a pre-formed foundation, such as Ross Rounds or Dadant's
      Bee-O-Pack? Which pre-formed foundation do you prefer? Why or why
      not?

      Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

      Thanks,

      Joe/KC6NLX
    • tom langley
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 2, 2007
        Here's a method you can try.
        http://beekeeperlinda.blogspot.com/2007/06/harvesting-chunk-honey.html

        Tom

        "Joseph A. Clark" <josephaclark@...> wrote:
        I'm considering starting to sell comb honey in the spring. I have
        never done this before, just raw honey in the bottle.

        For those of you who do sell comb honey, I have a few questions.

        Do you use thin foundation designed for comb honey?
        How do you cut the foundation? The last time I tried to get comb
        honey for a friend, I had a mess all over the cookie sheet I used to
        hold the frame, not to mention all the reinforcing wires I had to
        pull out. ;)

        Do you use a pre-formed foundation, such as Ross Rounds or Dadant's
        Bee-O-Pack? Which pre-formed foundation do you prefer? Why or why
        not?

        Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

        Thanks,

        Joe/KC6NLX

        http://mail.yahoo.com

      • Mike Carri...
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 2, 2007
          Hi Joe,

          Just to answer part of your query...

          I had some marginal luck with Ross Rounds a few years ago but it was,
          really, bitter sweet. While I got about two frames of comb honey from
          the super, the rest of the super went empty. I've tried to make comb
          honey with the Ross Rounds 3 or 4 times since then and the bees just
          don't like it. I always put the super on a strong hive and it just
          dwindles throughout the summer. Currently, the hive I tried this last
          summer is so weak I doubt it will winter over.

          There must be a way of doing it right. It's a well known company.
          But I sure haven't found the right way to do it and I'm tired of
          killing off my bees with it. I'm going to throw the super away and
          not try again. I have another Langstroth hive which does quite well
          with traditional supers. I also have a top bar hive which has nothing
          but foundation and honey in it. It's easy to cut comb for sale.

          I'm not saying don't try the Ross Rounds...just find out all about
          them before you invest in them. Oh yeah, they are expensive. Not
          only do you have to buy the foundation but the rings and the
          containers to hold it all when (if) you harvest the rings. You might
          price all that through Dadant or other supply store.

          That's just my experience and I'm soured on them...

          Mike
          WA5ZTE

          --- In Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, "Joseph A. Clark"
          <josephaclark@...> wrote:

          > I'm considering starting to sell comb honey in the spring. I have
          > never done this before, just raw honey in the bottle.
          >
          > For those of you who do sell comb honey, I have a few questions.
          >
          > Do you use thin foundation designed for comb honey?
          > How do you cut the foundation? The last time I tried to get comb
          > honey for a friend, I had a mess all over the cookie sheet I used to
          > hold the frame, not to mention all the reinforcing wires I had to
          > pull out. ;)
          >
          > Do you use a pre-formed foundation, such as Ross Rounds or Dadant's
          > Bee-O-Pack? Which pre-formed foundation do you prefer? Why or why
          > not?
          >
          > Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Joe/KC6NLX

        • Lew Best
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 2, 2007
            I've never tried it but have heard that the Ross Rounds sell good. My
            understanding is that to get the bees to fill them (or any type of cut
            comb set-up) that you have to keep the hive at "near swarming type
            overcrowding" or they'll just partly fill them or even ignore them.

            Just wanted to share what I've heard; no experience here at all.

            Lew near Waco, TX

            I'm considering starting to sell comb honey in the spring. I have
            never done this before, just raw honey in the bottle.

            For those of you who do sell comb honey, I have a few questions.

            Do you use thin foundation designed for comb honey?
            How do you cut the foundation? The last time I tried to get comb
            honey for a friend, I had a mess all over the cookie sheet I used to
            hold the frame, not to mention all the reinforcing wires I had to
            pull out. ;)

            Do you use a pre-formed foundation, such as Ross Rounds or Dadant's
            Bee-O-Pack? Which pre-formed foundation do you prefer? Why or why
            not?

            Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

            Thanks,

            Joe/KC6NLX

            Checked by AVG Free Edition.
            11/2/2007 11:04 AM
          • David Browder
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 2, 2007
              An old Beewriter/Beekeeper named Richard Taylor (He died a while back, but
              his books are still out there.) told how to do it in one of his books,
              called it CROWDING DOWN. It works but ya gotta go in and check for Queen
              cells pretty regular.
              > I've never tried it but have heard that the Ross Rounds sell good. My
              > understanding is that to get the bees to fill them (or any type of cut
              > comb set-up) that you have to keep the hive at "near swarming type
              > overcrowding" or they'll just partly fill them or even ignore them.
              >
              > Just wanted to share what I've heard; no experience here at all.
              >
              > Lew near Waco, TX

            • Pam
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 3, 2007
                > Do you use a pre-formed foundation, such as Ross Rounds or Dadant's
                > Bee-O-Pack?
                I used the ross rounds with great success, I put a super of that on
                first, when it was close to full put a shallow on top, they filled the
                ross rounds completely, and I took it off around end of june, added
                another shallow super and they went to work on those, for me it was
                neat and easy, and people love them, my only complaint is they can't
                really be reclosed after you open them, they leak. but I am beginner,
                and maybe it was just beginners luck? have done it for 2 years now.
                Pam