Re: [Beekeeping] small maggot-like worms?

  • Mike Stoops
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 11, 2007
      David Browder <davidbrowder@...> wrote:
      You'll know pretty quick when ya pop open the cover. See cocoons and "spider web"?? Moth.  After all these years, I've yet to see a Hive Beetle, they're all around me (N.C.) though. Just a matter of time.

         .
      If you see tunnels running through your comb honey and honey oozing out and running over equipment below, and little black beetles about the size of small grains of rice running around, you probably have small hive beetles.  Wish they would develop a pherome trap to trap them like they did for the cotton boll weavel.  Anyway, I dislike the damage from the small hive beetle larvae a lot more than I do the wax moth.  Both are bad, but the mess the SHB makes is a lot worse than the wax moth in my opinion.

    • sunstone1313
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 11, 2007
        If the hive is strong, they are probably beetle larvae. If there are
        webs present on any frames, they are probably moth larvae. Moth larvae
        are usually present in weak hives, though, or hives that have too much
        space. Moth eggs are on all bee equipment, but a strong hive will take
        care of them and they'll not be a problem. If your hive is too large
        for the number of bees you have, the moths will take over. If they are
        moths and your hive is fairly strong, take parts off the hive to crowd
        the bees a little (but leave honey for this time of year). If they
        have gotten weak, you may have to combine that hive with another or
        lose them all.

        The larvae of both look very similar. One has legs on front and back
        and one has legs on front only. I'm thinking that the moth larvae has
        legs on front and back and the beetle larvae has legs on front only.

        If you might have beetles, take the cover off your hive and put the
        top super onto it on a sunny day (provided it is warm enough up there
        this time of year). Leave it for a couple minutes and then, while
        watching closely, pick the super up quickly and look at the lid. Do
        you see any small black beetles running around? Small, oval, about 1/4
        inch long or so? I'm a part time bee inspector in Arkansas and that's
        the best way we've found to find beetles where there was not a real
        bad infestation. However, with larvae in there, if that's what they
        are, there should be a fair number of adults, too. They hide really
        well, though, and do not like the light.

        --- In Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, trevor mansell <mansellp7@...> wrote:

        > Hive beatle larva?
        > --- Mandy <mfarrar@...> wrote:
        >
        > > HI there-
        > >

        > > I was checking my mite tray today and found these
        > > small, (1/4" long)
        > > maggot-like worms. Look like mini-maggots actually.
        > > This is the first time
        > > I have seen anything like this and was wondering if
        > > anyone had a guess at
        > > what it might be and if it is harmful to my bees
        > > (probably, but the hive
        > > seems to be fairly strong). I can't find anything
        > > in reading my books about
        > > this sort of thing.
        > >

        > > Any guesses/suggestions?
        > >

        > > Thanks,
        > >

        > > Mandy
        > >

        > > ====================================
        > >
        > > Mandy Farrar
        > >
        > > Management Forester
        > >
        > > Orion Timberlands, LLC
        > >
        > > PO Box 17
        > >
        > > Caratunk, ME 04925
        > >
        > > <mailto:mfarrar@...>
        > > mailto:mfarrar@...
        > >

        > > (207) 672-4145 office
        > >
        > > (207) 299-8214 cell

        > Boardwalk for $500? In 2007? Ha! Play Monopoly Here and Now (it's
        updated for today's economy) at Yahoo! Games.

      • axeman axeman
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 11, 2007
          I have seen small white 'worm-like' things in my
          monitoring tray. Sometimes a cocoon stuck to the
          inside corner of the tray but never anything "IN" the
          hive. I see a lot of activity bee-wise at the back of
          the hive and when I pull the tray out the 'worm-like'
          critters are all but dead with bees all over them.
          Usually one worm and one more in a cocoon which I
          destroy. Not sure what these are but they've never
          made it into the hive.

          Alan, Lakeview, NY
          --- David Browder <davidbrowder@...> wrote:

          > You'll know pretty quick when ya pop open the cover.
          > See cocoons and "spider web"?? Moth. After all
          > these years, I've yet to see a Hive Beetle, they're
          > all around me (N.C.) though. Just a matter of time.
          > -----

          http://sims.yahoo.com/
        • Hernan
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 12, 2007
            I'm in Florida, and very familiar with the SHB larva.
            Here are some links to pictures that may help you identify and confirm
            if is SHB. Pics show the legs and size of it.
            I took the pictures but couldn't see the legs on it till I looked at
            the picture and zoomed in.

            http://beeanonymous.blogspot.com/2007/09/shb-larva-in-trap.html

            If you roll the larva the wrong way, you won't see the legs.

            PS. Pictures are mine, so I bet size probably varies a little, I have
            no clue how old the one in the pics is

            HR
            Melbourne, Fl
          • Mike McDonald
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 12, 2007
              Which beetle trap are you using? I've heard really good things about the
              Hood trap. Folks around here prefer the West trap since they can put
              dolomitic lime in the trap and not have to level their hives.

              Mike

              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 12, 2007

                Mandy,

                The “maggots” are very probably small hive beetle larvae. When you say you saw no sign of beetles, that wasn’t quite correct. The presence of the hive beetle larvae is a sure sign of hive beetles. This can turn into a very serious problem that will result in your bees picking up and leaving if it is not corrected. I treat the ground beneath and in a 2 ft diameter around our hives with GardStar EC. It’s rather pricey, but you can find it at many feed suppliers (I had no luck with CO-OP or Tractor Supply, though). The West small hive beetle trap is also a great tool.

                To give you an idea of just how much damage the beetles can do, a beekeeper near us lost 14 of his 24 hives in the past year because of hive beetles. The larvae slime the come so the cells can’t be capped. They burrow through brood, pollen and honey. They are simply a disaster.

                Mike

                I checked stuff out in the hive, and I do not see any wax moth evidence – things look pretty normal in there.  I didn’t see anything unusual.  Also no sign of beetle.  But admittedly, I am very new at this so I could have missed something.  It is really cold and rainy today so I don’t really want to let all that cold air in by looking again which I really want to do to see if I missed something.  Also yesterday, less “maggots” in the tray I counted 3 – last time there were about 15 or so.  That could be good or bad I guess.

                Am not real sure what to do, I have a call in to our state apiarist to see what he says, maybe he will want to take a look.  I will keep you posted.  Thank you all for all the great help/advice!

                Mandy in Maine

              • Mandy
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 13, 2007

                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 25, 2007

                    Thank you all for your input on this.

                    I treated for beetle because I didn’t see sign of moth and talked to a nearby beekeeper (who I just found).  I have seen no sign of the “maggots” in the tray recently nor in the hive itself so I am hoping I have taken care of the problem and will keep monitoring.

                    Thanks again,