Winter kill?

  • Sparky
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 13, 2003
      I recently checked a hive I had wintered over and found something I
      have never seen before............out of the 2 brood boxes the lower
      one was empty of all honey and about half of the upper, so far so
      good. But then I started noticing that all the active bees left were
      all drones. Very few workers(5%) and the queen nowhere to be found.
      Also to be noted is the fact that a good portion of workers were
      dead inside of the cells head first. My best guess is that we had a
      late cold snap and the hive winter killed even though it still had
      food reserves. Any comments would be welcomed.

      Sparky
    • davidbrowder