You Know It's The Dog Days of August When:

  • Joseph A. Clark
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 2 12:35 PM
      Your bees are festooning all over the outside of the hive.

      I was doing an inspection this afternoon and didn't notice the
      festoon on the opposite side of the hive from where I stood. When I
      lifted the outer cover, it wasn't balanced very well due to about 500
      or more honey bees playing teeter-totter with me. When a bunch of
      them fell, I was sure I was in for it, but they just flew around a
      while, then came back to the hive.

      After checking it out, seeing that it was time for another super (how
      come this hive, but not the one next to it? No, they're not
      robbing.),
      when I closed it up, the festoon was still hanging on the outer
      cover. So, I very carefully held it by the rear corners, gently set
      it on top of the hive, and let it down gently onto the piece of 1X2
      stock that I use to prop up the outer cover.

      They're still festooning, it's 3:30PM here, sunny, but they're on the
      east side of a building, out of the afternoon sun. I sprayed the
      outside of the hive bodies with a spray bottle of water, letting some
      drip onto the landing board. They seem to be running for the water,
      so maybe it did some good.

      I expect the nectar flow to have dried up, since it's August in Ohio,
      we haven't had much rain in the past 2 weeks. In fact, the last set
      of storms blew over one of my colonies. That was fun putting it back
      together. Fortunately, only 2 stings, and it was all done.
    • axeman axeman
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 2 5:36 PM
        Same problem here just south of Buffalo. My one hive
        in my back yard are all clustered up and love it when
        I turn the water on to water the garden. A little
        overspray ends up on the landing and they go crazy for
        it even though I keep a shallow feeder of water on the
        ground in front of the hive. They're not bringing in
        much at all for pollen but my other hive in the hills
        further south are in a feeding frenzy. The land owner
        says he wants another hive so I'm finally moving up in
        the world.

        Alan, Lakeview, NY

        --- "Joseph A. Clark" <josephaclark@...>

      • David Browder
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 2 6:06 PM
          Now is a good time to have some Buckwheat blooming. It's about as as fool proof a crop as there is, bust up the soil, broadcast it around, then run a draghare over it or (Gently and just skim the ground.) till it in with a tiller.  Guess if you're feeling your oats ya could put in a small patch with a rake. Think it's too DRY?? I've seen it rise up out of dust more than once!!

          --- "Joseph A. Clark" <josephaclark@ embarqmail. com>

          Fussy? Opinionated? Impossible to please? Perfect. Join Yahoo!'s user panel and lay it on us. http://surveylink. yahoo.com/ gmrs/yahoo_ panel_invite. asp?a=7