Bees in rug

  • David O.
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 30, 2007
      I just got a call from a woman who has bees inside a 6'x9' rug that is
      loosely folded on her back porch. She says that they have been there
      for at least two weeks, perhaps three.

      I'd like to get them, of course. How would you do it? It must be harder
      than a swarm, but easier than taking apart a wall, right? What would
      you charge?

      I figure I'll need a new hive body with empty frames.

      1. Inspect to make sure they are honey bees!
      2. Get the equipment out. Smoke liberally.
      3. Slowly unfold the carpet, trying not to destroy the comb.
      4. Wire or tie in as much of the existing comb with brood and stores
      that I can into the empty frames.
      5. Make sure I get the queen.
      6. Wait until evening when they are all at home and settled in.
      7. Haul them off to their new home.

      Did I miss anything?
    • David Browder

        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 31, 2007
          Yeah, that's what I meant. Get them during the day, then return in
          the evening after dark and haul them to their new home.

          It turns out that they weren't honey bees. They looked much like half-
          sized yellow jackets. They covered the entrance will a wall of
          stranded-type wood fibers. The diameter of the entrance was smaller
          than a pencil. This is the closest thing that I could find, but this
          is a fly:

          http://www.brownbagproductions.com/waspjpgs/ncho1.html

          --- In beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, "David Browder" <davidbrowder@...>