9913Re: [Beekeeping] Re: Laying Workers?

  • tom langley
    Jul 1, 2007
       If it is truly a laying worker it will kill the new queen...but
      You can move the current hive and replace it with a vacant one.
      Then take  the laying worker hive a few feet away from the original
      spot, the laying worker won't leave the original hive but the  worker bees
      will return to the new hive which you can add your queen cell or a frame
      of brood in  various stages to. It worked for me this spring and I was
      pleased that I did not lose the colony and it is doing good now. There may
      be easier ways but this  is all I know about.

      "Joseph A. Clark" <josephaclark@...> wrote:
      I'm experiencing the same problem, and I checked all 3 of my new
      hives and found queens in 2 of them. Now, on the third hive, I
      carefully moved each frame, lifted them out one by one, and looked
      all over for "Mama", but couldn't find her. I slid the frames along
      the rabbets on the hive body, thinking maybe she was crawling around
      on the sides, but still didn't find her. I did notice one worker
      with her abdomen in a cell, but when she moved, I didn't see an egg

      So, my question is, if I find a viable "occupied" queen cell in
      another colony, can I shake the bees off that frame and transfer it
      to the queenless colony? I realize that anything involving queens is
      a risk we accept, but I wonder if maybe this would be a way to
      approach it without having to get a new queen from a breeder.

      Thanks all.

      --- In beekeeping@yahoogro ups.com, "mstmechanix" <mstmechanix@ ...>