8941Re: [beekeeping] Re: Queen death in a hive

  • George Fergusson
    Oct 1 5:09 AM
      Sometimes, things just don't go according to plan. Maybe there weren't
      any suitable larvae available, quite possible if the old queen was
      failing and/or had shut down for some reason; Or, they did raise a few
      queens but they killed each other before mating; or they did raise a
      queen but the weather didn't cooperate and she never mated and became a
      drone layer (dunno, I wasn't paying attention to the thread, sorry); Or,
      she did mate but never made it back to the hive for some reason.

      Mike Stoops wrote:
      > */Michael Kelly <miteke@...>/* wrote:
      > > ---- Michael Kelly <miteke@...> wrote:
      > > > My guess is that the queen died.
      > In most colonies, when the queen dies, the colony will raise a new queen
      > from one to three day old larvae. If this didn't happen in your colony,
      > then something definately was wrong with the colony.
      > Mike in LA
    • Show all 36 messages in this topic