7983Re: [beekeeping] Re: [Advice about laying workers

  • FarmerBrown49@aol.com
    Jun 1, 2006
      In a message dated 6/1/2006 1:42:32 P.M. Central Daylight Time, evanscw@... writes:
      Should I freeze
      > or chill the frames  with all drone brood, larvae, and
      > eggs before  re-hiving?

      > Sammy Replies:  I wouldn't.

      What are the benefits/problems with freezing frames?  I was going to
      shake the bees (and the laying worker) today and hive the a new
      package tomorrow but the rain and wind has delayed that a bit.  I hope
      to shake tomorrow and may hive the package at the same time.  I
      thought about at least uncapping all of the drone brood.

      Thanks,

      Chris
      Tifton, GA
      Sammy Replies:  Frankly I missed the word "Drone" but I still wouldn't unless there was some good reason such as bad gene line.  But if it is mites your are trying to prevent or control indeed freeze them.

      Sammy
      A Beekeepers Chat Room. Go to our web site click on Chat Room.
      The 2006 Beekeepers Record Book is Now Available To Order go to
      Our web site: http://brownsapiaries.com/
      add your name to our Beekeepers Directory at http://brownsapiaries.com/addtolist.html
      Subscribe to: AmericanBeeBreeders-subscribe@yahoogroups.com Host your Web site with BizLand!
    • Show all 5 messages in this topic