6633Re: Pliny's wax

  • David O.
    Feb 1, 2006
      --- In beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, "dickbeekeeper"
      <dickbeekeeper@y...> wrote:

      > --- In beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, ace <aceinthehole@d...> wrote:
      >
      > >Melting in aluminum will surely discolor your wax.
      >
      > probably even more likely using salt water. as someone who has
      worked in aviation i can
      > say from personal experience that salt water corrodes aluminum at
      the drop of a hat.

      Hmmm. Took out my old (1970s) copy of The Hive and the Honey Bee:

      "...when wax is boiled without water beneath, discoloration occurs if
      the temperature exceeds 185F."

      "Do not heat beeswax in tanks composed of monel metal, iron (unless
      galvanized), zinc, brass, or copper, because this will result in
      discoloring the wax. No appreciable discoloration occurs in vessels
      of aluminum, nickel, tin, or stainless steel."

      I don't know what monel metal is, but you can google it up.

      "Beeswax produced in the United States does not bleach readily.
      Bleachable types are imported mainly from Brazil, Chile, Cuba, and
      Africa."

      So how are these foreign waxes different from U.S. wax?

      "Bleaching may be accomplished by solar radiation, chemicals,
      adsorption, or several methods in combination. In sun bleaching,
      beeswax is exposed as thin shavings in shallow pans with water.
      Bleaching chemicals include bichromates, permanganates, peroxides,
      and chlorine compounds. Bleaching by the adsorption method requires
      that diatomacesous earth or powdered charcoal be added to the molten
      wax. The mixture is agitated for several hours, and then forced
      through a filter press to remove all solid particles."

      You do have a copy of The Hive and the Honey Bee, right?

      No mention of salt water.
    • Show all 15 messages in this topic