6356Re: [beekeeping] Rules concerning honey sales to general public

  • FarmerBrown49@aol.com
    Dec 2, 2005
      In a message dated 12/2/2005 5:22:33 P.M. Central Standard Time, jesseallencameron@... writes:
      I have heard differing stories as to the rules associated with selling honey to the general public as a beekeeper versus a honey packer.  Some have said you need a packaging license just to bottle a jar of honey and sell it to your family or neighbor.  Others have said no.  I live in Tempe Arizona and keep bees in the Phoenix area.  Generally I sell my honey wholesale to a friend who is also a honey packer who has told me that I really don't need a special license to sell honey to my friends and neighbors.  I have searched on google but can't seem to find any literature about how to even get a honey packaging license.  Personally I don't like store bought honey as compared to honey out of my hives (or family and friends hives for that matter) straight.  At best all it needs is a paint filter straining to get out the wax and bee parts for looks and then off it goes.  What do you all think?
      Sammy Replies:  Best advice I can give you is to contact your state USDA office or you county health office may be a good place to start.  For the Laws concerning labeling you can view the Federal USDA laws at http://brownsapiaries.com/labels.html I have not had the time to edit them to those which pertains to the honey business only as of yet.
      A Beekeepers Chat Room. Go to our web site click on Chat Room.
      The 2006 Beekeepers Record Book is Now Available To Order go to
      Our web site: http://brownsapiaries.com/
      add your name to our Beekeepers Directory at http://brownsapiaries.com/addtolist.html
      Subscribe to: AmericanBeeBreeders-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
      Host your Web site with BizLand!