6066Re: Deformed wings

  • Joseph Clemens
    Oct 2, 2005
      Honeybees and Varroa are both part of a natural system, granted they
      probably weren't initally part of the same intrinsic system, but all
      natural systems are in flux -- boy what a flux Varroa getting together
      with Apis mellifera has been. I agree, medicating is like putting a
      bandaid on a non-surgical amputation. If we let the bees, beetles,
      mites, and bacteria find their own equilibrium we would be better off.
      None of the "treatments" are cures -- cures would just not be as
      economically viable as "treatments" are.

      Joseph Clemens
      Tucson, Arizona

      --- In beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, "Scot Mc Pherson"
      <scot.mcpherson@g...> wrote:
      > Beekeeping has changed with the advent of 3 major influences.
      Varroa, small hive beetle and africanization. If we as a global
      community had simply let these things run their course, they would
      have faded into background problems with little adjustment to
      management styles. The coming of pharmaceutical beekeeping changed
      that course. Instead of pests and diseases burning through all that it
      could exploit, we have continued the possibility of widespread
      > Beekeeping used to be about knowing the seasons and following the
      bees. It is now instead the bees being o]towed behind us while the
      problems just follow. Predetors prey on the weak and keep the
      populations strong and tuned. Preventing the predation only lets the
      prey grow fat without the ability to survive. Sharks and fish, wolf
      and sheep, lions and antelopes all share this relationship, and so do
      bees share this relationship with mites and small hive beetle, wax
      moth, foulbrood and all the other threats. When we leave the predetors
      to their prey, all that is left is strong specimens to start the next
      generation. Keep it up and let it do its work and your predetor only
      continues to make you stronger.
      > Scot Mc Pherson
      > McPherson Family Honey Farms
      > Davenport, IA
      > Bradenton, FL
      > http://linuxfromscratch.org/~scot/
      > http://beewiki.linuxfromscratch.org

      Dig a few out
      > >with your hive tool or a sharp stick and check for mites. Also
      be on the
      > >lookout for bees with deformed wings wandering around the comb.
      I've seen
      > >that in a few of my hives.
      > >
      > >Next, if you determine you have a mite problem, is to decide
      what you're
      > >going to do. In general I'm staying away from the patently chemical
      > >approaches. In particular, I'm using Oxalic Acid vapor. I hope it's
      > >helped.. I'll lose these hives if it doesn't I'm afraid. I've done 3
      > >treatments to date and have just put in my screens to do drop
      > >
      > >>I've been out of beekeeping since the middle 70's and this is
      my first
      > >year back at it. Things were different then and I'm in the steep
      part of
      > >the learning curve trying to stay alert to the threats of the day.
      > >Experience is the best teacher but I also like to learn as much
      as possible
      > >from the lessons that others have learned. I will greatly
      appreciate all of
      > >your advice.
      > >
      > >I'll take your word for beekeeping having changed in 30
      something years.
      > >I'm sure it has. The bees are largely the same I think, but we
      got mites
      > >now.. and many of the bee diseases aren't responding to traditional
      > >treatments due to years and years of the effects of the use of
      chemicals to
      > >combat them. Obviously, it isn't working.
      > >
      > >Good luck. Let us know what you find out.
      > >
      > >George-

      > >George & Nancy Fergusson
      > >Sweet Time Apiary
      > >326 Jefferson Road