6064Re: [beekeeping] Deformed wings

  • Scot Mc Pherson
    Oct 2, 2005
      Beekeeping has changed with the advent of 3 major influences. Varroa, small hive beetle and africanization. If we as a global community had simply let these things run their course, they would have faded into background problems with little adjustment to management styles. The coming of pharmaceutical beekeeping changed that course. Instead of pests and diseases burning through all that it could exploit, we have continued the possibility of widespread exploitation.

      Beekeeping used to be about knowing the seasons and following the bees. It is now instead the bees being o]towed behind us while the problems just follow. Predetors prey on the weak and keep the populations strong and tuned. Preventing the predation only lets the prey grow fat without the ability to survive. Sharks and fish, wolf and sheep, lions and antelopes all share this relationship, and so do bees share this relationship with mites and small hive beetle, wax moth, foulbrood and all the other threats. When we leave the predetors to their prey, all that is left is strong specimens to start the next generation. Keep it up and let it do its work and your predetor only continues to make you stronger.

      Scot Mc Pherson
      McPherson Family Honey Farms
      Davenport, IA
      Bradenton, FL