587Re: trouble with a division board feeder

  • typicaldrone
    May 1, 2002
      Michael Mundy wrote:

      > I have seen pictures of another method... turning some jars upside
      > down in an empty hive body. I want to do this as soon as possible.
      Do
      > you think it would be ok if I did that within only 2 or 3 days of
      my
      > last visit? Or do you think I should wait till a whole week has
      > passed? I understand that each visit is rather traumatic for the
      hive.

      Hi Michael

      This is my second year with bees so I remember well your feelings and
      concerns.
      After your bees are initially settled in I wouldn't worry about
      taking a look more than once a week to start with. The disturbance to
      the bees of being opened up is more than outweighed in the long term
      by your quickly learning how to handle them confidently. Keep
      inspections to a minimum time but don't worry at all about opening
      the lid to fit and refill a top feeder.

      Have lots of fun!
      Beekeeping is a wonderful obsession!

      Richard