524Re: [beekeeping] After extracting..then what?

  • Joel Govostes
    Jan 23, 2002

      Or...make creamed honey.  The honey from this region, which granulates pretty hard, is ideal for this.

      The easiest and best way is to let your honey granulate solid in the pail.  Then cut out slabs of the honey and feed them through a household electric meat grinder.  As it comes out of the grinder, it goes directly into the jars.  Store them in a cool place afterwards.  Or you can store them in a freezer until needed.

      The resulting creamed honey is just delicious -- I, and many customers, far prefer its flavor and consistency to that of liquid honey.  It is smoother than what you can get from the Dyce Process or seeding!  Even people who say they "don't like honey" love this stuff.  It is like candy.  And easier to measure or spread than liquid honey.

      The US is probably the only place where customers "expect" their honey to be clear and liquid.  Granulation is natural and so why not just use it to your advantage?

      Have fun...

      jg

        "barbmiller.rm" <barbmiller@...> wrote:

      Hello beekeepers!
      Coming out of lurkdom here to pose a few questions to all of you.
      Last year was my first for selling honey.  I extracted and filtered
      into a 5 gallon plastic bucket fitted with a honey gate.  After a few
      days, the honey went into pint mason jars for sale.  The honey
      crystallized in the jars rather quickly - something I would like to
      avoid next year.  I've read about the fridge with a light bulb and
      that's not feasible right now. From doing a search on Bee-L, I know
      that I can heat the honey to 120 F. and hold it for 24 hours.  Can I
      buy a heat belt from say, Dadant and just heat it in the plastic
      bucket?  Please.... help this struggling beekeeper out and give her
      some ideas on what to do......
      Sincerely,
      Barb Miller
      N. Central PA