4641Re: New BeeKeeper.

  • Larry Kelly
    Jun 2, 2005
      --- In beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, "Sharon Lee" <lockha885@c...>
      wrote:
      > Hello all, I am Sharon and I am new to this Hobby.
      > I have been reading all I can about the Subject tho, and find that
      by
      > reading all the different books I get a little confused by the
      > statistics.
      > I have also been reading all the posts on this forum.
      > I took a short Beekeeping class offered by the area Beekeeper
      > Association. I did learn a lot but also was confused too.
      > When one speaker would tell us not to get into Beekeeping for the
      > Money
      > the next one said that there is money to be made in the products of
      > Beekeeping, honey, wax, etc.
      > I have recently acquired two bee swarms from Walter T. Kelley Co. in
      > KY.
      > They have been very helpful in my gettin started with buying all
      the
      > necessary items for becoming a good Beekeeper.
      > I have had these bees for only one month, and am learning daily
      from
      > them and how they work and how they react to others.
      > I was wondering if anyone knows how long it will take these bees to
      > become "Established"?
      > I think they are doing OK, but, wonder if they will have enough to
      > eat
      > during the winter, for they seem to be slow to progress.
      > They have drawn out about seven of the ten frames in the first hive
      > body and I am now preparing to add the second hive body, probably
      > tomorrow, for I don't want to bother them too much, it seems to
      stunt
      > them somehow.
      > If you have any suggestions just post them and I will read them
      daily.
      > Thanks for all the information and help you have already given and
      > hopefully will continue to give to all of we "Newbee's."
      > Thanks again.
      > Sharon

      Sharon:

      Most beekeeping clubs have that one "old timer" that has forgotten
      more than most of us will ever know. Draw on his/her knowledge. Most
      of the old timers will even visit your hives with you and get you
      going in the right direction.

      As for the money, I've spent alot more than I plan on taking in. For
      me it's a hobby and not a money maker.

      Larry
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic