2481slow building hive - HELP

  • James A. Ward
    Jun 1, 2004
      Greetings!

      My package of bees have been in their hive for about 3 - 4 weeks.  The bees had been in the hive for about 10 days when I had to go out of town suddenly.  Now that I am back, I was amazed... instead of my bees being very crowded and in need of another hive body, there seems to be minimal progress.  They have plenty of capped brood and some uncapped brood and eggs.  They have some capped honey/sugar food cells and pollen.  But this takes up only about 4 1/2 - 5 frames.  My hive came with the plastic frames that had been coated with bees wax.  A friend was making sure they had 1:1 sugar water solution with Honey B Healthy in it.

      My question is why is there not more advancement?  I have been watching them for the last few days and they are coming in and out , bringing in pollen... like they should be.  Is it possible that they don't like the plastic frames/foundation?  I was told it had been rainy and cool for a good portion of the time I was gone, which likely is also probably a large factor.

      What can I do to get them built up??

      Thanks,
      Jim

    • Show all 7 messages in this topic