2383Re: [beekeeping] Re: All things considered; Bees, round-up, weed-control

  • Shanta McBain
    May 14 2:02 PM
      On May 5, 2004 12:23 am, zoodood71 wrote:
      > --- In beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, "bdloving" <bdloving@y...> wrote:
      > > My wife wants to landscape and the guy doing the work is suggesting
      > > killing the front yard weeds with Roundup.
      > >
      > > Anyone know if this will bother my bees who are in the back yard?
      >
      > While a zookeeper, I was very vocal against the unnecessary use of
      > chemicals at work. The director of Horticulture insisted that
      > Roundup kills plants by causing them to build instable cells (he
      > described it as a pile of bolling balls that eventually crashes under
      > its own weight and that plants have to be growing for Roundup to be
      > effective.) He claimed to have "proven" its safety by drinking some
      > in front of the staff (**** I do NOT recommend this action ****).

      Ya had a guy here drinking water from the tailings pond of a local mine. Never
      did see the fallow up on how long he actualy lived afterwards. The action of
      Roundup/vision is a growth hormone, so strong that it caused the plant to
      grow so fast it dies. In human these chemicals are linked to cancer. If you
      only read the product label you will believe the product is safe.

      > That said, and it's all second-hand, I think there are plenty other
      > methods for controlling and eliminating vegitation. Soil
      > solarization, proper soil prep.... a lot. One needs only to care
      > enough to look beyond the chemical shelves of the local market.

      Short term a bit more work but in the long term better health all around.

      > Tom,
      > You mentioned vinegar. A wonderful suggestion. I am familiar with
      > using it to eradicate plants from areas where you don't want plants
      > to grow.... it works by severly altering the soil's pH... but can you
      > use it where you Do what other plants to grow?

      If the plant is acid talrant it would be save. Blue berries for example like a
      acid soil. In fact we take a one ton truck load of the place each year for
      fire control. I delivered this years load to a pollination contract that I
      have for mulching his blue berries.
    • Show all 16 messages in this topic