2298Re: All things considered; Bees, round-up, weed-control

  • zoodood71
    May 5 12:23 AM
      --- In beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, "bdloving" <bdloving@y...> wrote:
      > My wife wants to landscape and the guy doing the work is suggesting
      > killing the front yard weeds with Roundup.
      >
      > Anyone know if this will bother my bees who are in the back yard?

      While a zookeeper, I was very vocal against the unnecessary use of
      chemicals at work. The director of Horticulture insisted that
      Roundup kills plants by causing them to build instable cells (he
      described it as a pile of bolling balls that eventually crashes under
      its own weight and that plants have to be growing for Roundup to be
      effective.) He claimed to have "proven" its safety by drinking some
      in front of the staff (**** I do NOT recommend this action ****).

      That said, and it's all second-hand, I think there are plenty other
      methods for controlling and eliminating vegitation. Soil
      solarization, proper soil prep.... a lot. One needs only to care
      enough to look beyond the chemical shelves of the local market.

      Tom,
      You mentioned vinegar. A wonderful suggestion. I am familiar with
      using it to eradicate plants from areas where you don't want plants
      to grow.... it works by severly altering the soil's pH... but can you
      use it where you Do what other plants to grow?

      WayaCoyote
    • Show all 16 messages in this topic