17766Re: [Beekeeping] new - want to start this summer...

  • Anne Money
    Jul 18, 2014
      You are right by looking into this now because you must have things in place long before next spring. First and foremost, I suggest you take a beekeeping class. Look for one NOW and sign up now if you can. If sign up is later, mark your calendar and do it as soon as they are taking registrations. They are popular and fill up quick.

      I signed up in September or October for a February class. Also, I don't know how it is up there, but here in Virginia you almost have to start with a class and join a club to get hooked in to even get bees. You really have to plan ahead.

      finally, and others may disagree, but it is a pretty darn expensive hobby. However, I love it and and the bees and find it to be the most interesting and challenging endeavor of my life. I can get even more specific if you want.

      Anne
      On Jul 18, 2014, at 12:06 AM, "charlesott@... [Beekeeping]" <Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Hello all,

      I've been monitoring this group for a couple of years - to learn some of the in's & out's of beekeeping.
      I don't know much yet. But I think I'm ready to get started keeping my own first hive.
      ( No I do not have equipment, yet. )

      This message is asking for some direct input from you, the experts.
      I want to make the right lists of things to do, concerns, dos & don'ts, or any other advice you have to offer.

      I live in Lowell, MA - a city setting.
      The winter was exceptionally cold last winter.
      So I have some challenges to work with.
      BTW - if there is anyone local to this area I would love to make your acquaintance.
      Please let me know.

      Thanks for the work you've done establishing this group and keeping good advice & discussion available!
      Thanks in advance for helping to get these wonderful pollinators another home here in our area.

      Charly O.

[...]

    • Show all 10 messages in this topic