17762Re: [Beekeeping] Re: Upper entrances

  • chris o
    Jul 16, 2014

      What I don't understand is why bother? If the idea is not to stand on the brood, can the bees simply stand on the sides of the hive box, the bottom board and or the inner cover?

      On Tuesday, July 15, 2014 10:41 PM, "Carol Zaworski SISTERCAROLZ@... [Beekeeping]" <Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      For ventilation I use follower boards

      Sent from my iPad

      On Jul 4, 2014, at 5:39 PM, "Rich wd6esz@... [Beekeeping]" <Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Yes, an upper hole can greatly increase ventilation. But please consider the long term implications of compromising that aspect of the integrity of the hive.

      ---- "mdudley@... [Beekeeping]" <Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
      > I drilled 1 inch holes in an upper super. They guard it, and occasionally use it, but surprisingly not a lot. It is probably more important from a ventilation standpoint.
      > A couple of my hives were bearding heavily during the heat of the day, one so badly the group hanging off the entrance was larger than the original swarm that came in a couple of months ago. I had standard telescopic tops with aluminum metal covering them. I felt the tops the other day and they were hot hot hot! Probably in the 150F or so range when it was 90 outside. So I did some research and repainted with Henry's solarflex white paint I picked up at Home Depot. Man did it make a difference. The tops are now not hot at all in full sun, and I noticed today there was no bearding at all during the day on one of the hives, and much less on the other.
      > Marshall

    • Show all 18 messages in this topic