17746RE: [Beekeeping] pool problems

  • Mary Powers
    Jul 9, 2014

      Is the purpose of adding chlorine to keep the water “clear” or because the bees like it?  I’m unclear about this.  J

      From: Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com]
      Sent: Wednesday, July 09, 2014 8:13 PM
      To: Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [Beekeeping] pool problems

      Sorry - I didn't make myself clear. No pool in my yard.

      To provide water for the bees, I have a feeder that looks like an office water cooler (much smaller version - holds maybe a pint) and a shallow tray above which the water is inverted. Hangs on a 'shepherd's crook' stand.

      The only 'customer' are the bees. If a pint is the total volume, how much chlorine makes the bees happy? Teaspoon? Tablespoon? 10:1? 20:1? Certainly not an exact science - just trying to get a feel for where I should start.

      On Wednesday, July 9, 2014 7:50 PM, "Rich wd6esz@... [Beekeeping]" <Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Hi Chris,

      Literally just a little bit. Bees are not picky! It's not a tight tolerance like it is for humans. People get red eyes if their swimming pool water has TOO MUCH chlorine in it. People have to worry about giardia if there is NOT ENOUGH chlorine. Bees don't care! If you're asking the minimum amount of chlorine to prevent the water from fermenting, then that becomes a very complex question. Many factors to consider like how clean is the vessel that you are chlorination? What is the ambient temperature of the water? How much sun exposure to the water? What is the nutrient level of the water you are chlorinating? etc etc etc!!! Literally thousands of factors to consider when calculating minimum chlorine levels.

      For bees, rough rule of thumb that will not bother bees and keep the water clear would between five drops to 5 tsp per gallon would be totally fine. The bees just don't care!

      Rich
      ---- "chris o twelvevoltduckman@... [Beekeeping]" <Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
      > Speaking of water with chlorine - what's a good formula for adding chlorine for bee water. I've never heard anything beyond "just a little bit."
      >
      > Chris
      >

      > On Wednesday, July 9, 2014 1:35 PM, "Jorg Kewisch jorg@... [Beekeeping]" <Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
      >

      > >He should find out where the bees come from. If it is a apiary then the
      > >beekeeper can provide a better water source, chlorinated and with a
      > >pinch of salt. If it is a feral colony you can capture it or the pool
      > >owner can provide the water.
      > >
      > >He should watch in which direction the bees fly home. I think that is
      > >called a bee line.
      > >
      > >Jorg
      > >
      > >On 07/09/2014 12:11 PM, Rich wd6esz@... [Beekeeping] wrote:
      > >> Hi Roger,
      > >>
      > >> The only effective way to keep bees away is to enclose the pool. The
      > >> problem is two fold. First of all the pool by itself can be seen by bees
      > >> while in flight so they will be attracted to it visually. Second because
      > >> the pool is chlorinated, the bee are attracted to it because bees are
      > >> attracted to chlorine because they associate it with water because so
      > >> many people chlorinate their pools.
      > >>
      > >> Rich
      > >> water pool and the bees love it. Unfortunately this pool is from humans
      > >> LOL What can he do to deter the bees from gathering a pool side for
      > >> water????? roger NJ

    • Show all 14 messages in this topic