17643Re: [Beekeeping] Re: Question On Placing Honey-Filled Deeps On New Hives

  • Dean deknow Stiglitz
    Apr 30, 2014

      Put them in a box under the broadest.

      andrew.g.miller@... wrote:
      Mild winters in the West, have left me with many deep boxes filled with unused honey/feed filled frames.

      I give similar honey+feed filled deeps to my newly hived swarms, but do not see much eagerness to consume them, even after scratching the wax cappings.

      Are there any tricks to getting the bees to empty these filled frames?   ( I'd rather not have to fully uncap them, or to place them in the middle of the brood nest, due to robbing and brood  chilling problems. )

      Similar problem for crystalized stores from previous years;  do you have any tricks to get the bees to use them or to clean them out?

      - A -

      ---In Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, <mdudley@...> wrote :

      I have a similar situation.  What I am doing is putting 2 to 4 frames of the honey/pollen on the outside of the brood chambers of swarms I have caught.  That way they don't become honey bound, and it saves them a lot of work building comb, and putting up the stores, so they can focus on raising more brood.

      Marshall

      ---In Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, <dgalbrecht@...> wrote :

      Hello everybody:

      Here's the situation:  I have a hive that didn't make it through the winter, one that left behind a nearly full deep of comb and honey ("honey" so to speak, since I suspect that much of it was from syrup from the fall feedings).

      Sent from my Android device with Pigeon.
    • Show all 8 messages in this topic