17642Re: Question On Placing Honey-Filled Deeps On New Hives

  • mdudley
    Apr 30, 2014
      Honey frames on each end of the brood chamber is the normal place this is placed.  It serves two purposes, during times of need it is supplies them with honey so they don't starve, or have to throw out brood.  Also it is a thermal heat sink/source, as well as an insulator, which allows them to more easily regulate the temperature of the brood nest.

      I would not expect for them to consume it except during a lot of rain, summer dearth of nectar, or winter.  What putting it there does is allow them to use incoming nectar to raise brood and build comb.  As long as there is a good flow of nectar coming in, they are not going to touch honey put up.  What it accomplishes is it allows them to use the incoming nectar to build more comb and raise more brood.  Without the stores, some of the nectar will be diverted to make honey to store for a rainy day or drought.  Thus although typically not touched, it still allows the bees to raise more bees and build more comb then they would have otherwise.

      The big payoff is later when you have put your supers on for them to fill for you.  The population will be higher, so they will be bringing in more, and there will be less that they need to fill in their stores around the brood chamber(s) before going on to fill your supers.

      Marshall

      ---In Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, <andrew.g.miller@...> wrote :

      Mild winters in the West, have left me with many deep boxes filled with unused honey/feed filled frames.

      I give similar honey+feed filled deeps to my newly hived swarms, but do not see much eagerness to consume them, even after scratching the wax cappings.

      Are there any tricks to getting the bees to empty these filled frames?   ( I'd rather not have to fully uncap them, or to place them in the middle of the brood nest, due to robbing and brood  chilling problems. )

      Similar problem for crystalized stores from previous years;  do you have any tricks to get the bees to use them or to clean them out?

      - A -

      ---In Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, <mdudley@...> wrote :

      I have a similar situation.  What I am doing is putting 2 to 4 frames of the honey/pollen on the outside of the brood chambers of swarms I have caught.  That way they don't become honey bound, and it saves them a lot of work building comb, and putting up the stores, so they can focus on raising more brood.

      Marshall

      ---In Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, <dgalbrecht@...> wrote :

      Hello everybody:

      Here's the situation:  I have a hive that didn't make it through the winter, one that left behind a nearly full deep of comb and honey ("honey" so to speak, since I suspect that much of it was from syrup from the fall feedings).