17640Re: [Beekeeping] Re: Question On Placing Honey-Filled Deeps On New Hives

  • mdudley
    Apr 29, 2014
      Yes they can, will not hurt them at all.  I did not freeze mine because the bees died when it got below 0 last January, and were thus already frozen.

      However if you have empty comb that is frozen, handle it very carefully.  It will be as brittle as a potato chip.

      Marshall

      ---In Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, <Dickerson888@...> wrote :

      Could the frames be frozen to kill any bugs, bacteria, etc?

      Would that damage the comb containing honey?

      On Tue, Apr 29, 2014 at 11:24 AM, <mdudley@...> wrote:

      I have a similar situation.  What I am doing is putting 2 to 4 frames of the honey/pollen on the outside of the brood chambers of swarms I have caught.  That way they don't become honey bound, and it saves them a lot of work building comb, and putting up the stores, so they can focus on raising more brood.

      Marshall

      ---In Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, <dgalbrecht@...> wrote :

      Hello everybody:

      Here's the situation:  I have a hive that didn't make it through the winter, one that left behind a nearly full deep of comb and honey ("honey" so to speak, since I suspect that much of it was from syrup from the fall feedings).

      I can't extract it, since the frames won't fit in my extractor, and it does contain some dead brood, though not huge amounts.  There's no sign of disease in the frames or on the bees I picked through, and no wax moth damage.

      From what I've read in beekeeping books and online, there seem to be two opinions, one advising against feeding honey to bees, the other saying that if there's no evidence of disease, and if from a known source, go ahead and feed with it.

      Any advice would be welcome - thanks!

      --
      Respectfully,