17631Re: [Beekeeping] Re: Moths in Comb (BLECH!)

  • mdudley
    Apr 25, 2014
      The problem is that the larvae leave their feces throughout the comb and honey.  For the comb, the bees can clean it out, but I would not want to eat honey that had been full of wax moth feces.  It may be OK for the bees though, if not too far gone.

      Marshall

      ---In Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, <crzybishma@...> wrote :

      Marshal
      You don't think that if the wax moth freeze the bees couldn't use the honey later??
      thanks
      Marlene
      On Thursday, April 24, 2014 10:55 PM, "mdudley@..." <mdudley@...> wrote:

      Wax moths, honey is not recoverable.   I put frames with honey and or nectar in a zip lock or iron shut plastic bag to seal it up, and freeze for 48 hours.  If there is uncapped nectar, I toss in a silica dry pack as well to prevent mold.  When done this way it will keep for years.

      Marshall

    • Show all 8 messages in this topic