17546The "Silver Bullet" in Beekeeping...Really?

  • Charles Walter
    Nov 27, 2013
      Could this be the silver bullet we have all been waiting for?  Please share your experience/knowledge with this product, I'd love to learn more about this 100% organic solution...or is it? Never heard of the company and/or the product until yesterday.

      http://bit.ly/1bnWHus

      The following was provided by one of their reps:

      You may view our PowerPoint and BEE SHIELD Video on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/1stlighttrading or website http://1stlighttrading.com/index.php/organic-products/bee-shield.html.

      Our completely organic solution protects bees and their hives from the many causes of CCD.  BEE SHIELD™ has been producing amazing results in the following ways:

      * Protects against black queen cell virus

      * Increases viral resistance

      * Increases production

      * Increases nutritional uptake

      * Protects against pesticides (systemic pesticides)

      * Increases parasite resistance

      * Shows 99% effective in field results

      Inoculating your hives for one month prior to wintering for stronger and healthier hives by spraying at the top of frames for this time of year (especially with screen bottom boards) using a stream of droplets (not mist) for bees to eat up.  The application on our PowerPoint attached is for those with less hives. There are three different methods of spray application.

      1. Every 2-3 days spray each hive with 1/2 oz. of BEE SHIELD (cover approx. 75 hives)

      2. Every 7 days spray each hive with 3/4 oz. of BEE SHIELD

      3. Every 10 days spray each hive with 1 oz. of BEE SHIELD

      These Application can be done on either the top of the hive after removing the lid, or through the entrance.

      After a month of inoculation, mix 1 oz./ gallon of your regular feeding program (2 gal. of BEE SHIELD II would mix in a 250 gallon tote).

      Nosema Ceranae is apparently released from the suppressive effects of fumagillin at higher concentrations than that of Nosema apis.  At fumagillin concentrations that continue to impact honey bee physiology, N. ceranae thrives and doubles its spore production. The current application protocol for fumagillin may exacerbate N. ceranae infection rather than suppress it.  Fumagillin application should be a major cause of N. ceranae dominance in this time.  So in essence by destroying nosema apis we are leaving the space wide open for nosema ceranae to take over which is a more destructive form of this disease.

      BEE SHIELD has shown to control Nosema levels.  BEE SHIELD's original design was intended for viruses and pesticides due to the fact it is shown that with nosema alone.  A colony doesn't usually show huge losses its the combination of viruses and N.apis or N. Ceranae that causes these dramatic falloffs.  BEE SHIELDS's ability to help contain nosema was just an added bonus to its intended effects, but the research team is hard at work in a truly combative measure of Nosema and the dreaded foulbrood diseases.

      Also if you would like to check out this trial ran by Randy Oliver you can decide with the above info provided and his tests if you want to use this product

      The long residual life of fumagillin in honey has led to its being banned in several other countries, for fear of honey contamination. Be careful in its use not to treat when it is likely to be stored by the bees in honey for human consumption. Cummins (2007) cites its uses in human medicine, and possible genotoxic effects.

      The main vector route for the Deformed Wing Virus has been found to be four different influences:

      1. The queen being infected with the virus from sperm from donating drones that transfers into the egg and the resulting larva is born with the virus already in system.
      2. The mandibular sacs of nursing bees i.e the food that they produce for the young.  This has also been show to contain the virus its contents thus spreading the disease as the bees are feed in larval state.
      3. The nurse bees come into contact with the other foraging/working bees.  This is through mouth when transfer of pollen/nectar/water takes place either the foraging bee or the nurse bee is infected thus making the spread of the disease very rapid.
      4. The fourth and final method of transference is from the varroa mite.  These parasites are being shown to be breeding factories for the deformed wing virus and with the increase in mites the larger amount of virus that is present.

      With BEE SHIELD we have stopped all vectors to be able to infect the honey bee.  We keep the viruses in check by preventing their ability to bind with the bee's cellular make-up preventing any type of symptoms allowing the colonies to be able to thrive and gain their foothold back where they need to be.

      Charles Walter
      Disclaimer: I hold no financial positions in this company or any of their subsidiaries.
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic