1747How do I find a wild hive..

  • Wayne Chesley
    Nov 1 6:21 PM
      I started keeping bees this past spring. I have three hives of
      Italian bees. In the late summer, when I had left some brace comb
      scrapings near one hive for the bees to clean up, I noticed a bee
      with different features among the clean up crew. Later under similar
      circumstances I saw another, and today when I put a jar of brace
      comb into a jar, not only did my bees get to work cleaning out the
      honey, but at least three of these foreigners were caught in the act.
      These bees are quite black in color, so much so that they are easy
      to spot. My first thoughe is that they are from a neighbor's hive,
      but to the best of my knowledge, there are no domestic hives within
      s mile or two of mine. I suspect a "wild" hive.

      In any case, I would love to devise a method of finding where these
      black bees come from. If they are "wild", they might be good stock,
      as they would be surviving without treatment for the varipus
      ailments and beasties threatening to (or alreading plaguing) my
      hives.

      So how can I discover the location of a hive or so of bees within a
      mile or so of my home. I'm patient, and this could be a good home
      school / 4-H / Boy Scout project for my son.

      Wayne in Maine
    • Show all 8 messages in this topic