      From: pj121201 <pakjohnson@...>
      To: Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Monday, July 22, 2013 11:31 AM
      Subject: [Beekeeping] Definition of raw honey

      I'm wondering what other beekeepers consider "raw" honey.

      My definition is that there's nothing extra added to the honey and that it's not been heated. I do harvest my honey using a cappings scratcher and a manual 3-frame extractor, then allowing it to run through a double sieve to catch excess wax.

      For "raw" honey, do you let it run through a sieve or just bottle it straight from the extractor? I've bottled it direct from the extractor and found that my "raw" honey customers (or those who said they wanted raw honey) were a bit taken aback at the layer of wax on top of the honey.

      There seems to be some variable around the definition, so - how do YOU process your "raw" honey?

      Pamela in Wisconsin

    • Show all 7 messages in this topic