17008Re: [Beekeeping] Re: How many hives?

  • Richard Sullivan
    Apr 4, 2013
      You would probably know you had foul brood because it stinks. If it doesn't stink you are probably fine. You don't need to get new equipment just because you  have wax moths. Just clean out the webs and larvae and when you put new bees in that box they will clean it right up.

      On Apr 3, 2013, at 12:05 AM, "Ruary Rudd" <ruaryrudd@...> wrote:

      Yes the presence of webbing indicates that wax moths have entered the hive, BUT it does not mean that that was the cause of the colony death. Unless you have definitely ruled it out Foul Brood is still in the running.
      -----Original Message-----
      From: Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com]On Behalf Of Bill
      Sent: 03 April 2013 01:20
      To: Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [Beekeeping] Re: How many hives?

      It's not Foulbrood, sorry. I should have said wax moth. I found a lot of webbing in that empty hive. But I didn't find larvae.

      Still, I'm fairly sure it's wax moth. I'm going to start over with new equipment anyway.

      Mike, I'm not good enough to spot where the current queen is inside the surviving hive. I know she's in there because she's producing large amounts of new Bill

    • Show all 24 messages in this topic