16996Re: [Beekeeping] How many hives?
- Mar 28, 2013Looking at Year Two hereYear One was a total bustOf two packages, only one survivedThat one was hard-pressed to simply exist given the extreme heat and no rainfall here May-SeptemberTwo swarms caught, neither had time to develop into anything worthwhileGoing to start over, two more packages due mid-April, plus buying 4 colonies from a beekeeper who has to retire due to physical (extreme ! ) problems.We'll see, I guess.----------I remember ordering packages from Sears for $ 9.95 eachHow it has changed, eh ?----- Original Message -----From: Jorg KewischSent: Thursday, March 28, 2013 11:29 AMSubject: [Beekeeping] How many hives?
I am starting my 3rd year beekeeping. I have 4 hives now and I ponder if
I should expand or not.
The arguments pro expansion are:
- I am getting better at beekeeping. I spend less time per hive doing a
- More hives allow me to make mistakes without losing all.
- Like children is a family all my colonies have different character and
strength. If I try a treatment on one hive and not on the others it is
impossible to distinguish the consequence of the treatment from other
Something like "beekeeper burnout"
Do you have any wisdom for me?
- << Previous post in topic Next post in topic >>