16941Re: Storing Supers with Honey and Moth Crystals

  • mdudley
    Feb 26, 2013
      --- In Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, "bslack007" <bslack007@...> wrote:

      > Over the winter I've lost all of the bee's in both of my hives. In one hive they vanished without a trace and the other it looked as if they were being robbed when I discovered them gone.
      >
      > As they were already being robbed I left the supers out to be cleaned off before putting them in storage until the spring.
      >
      > Today I went down to retrieve them and put them in storage and found a super that was about half full of honey. I don't own an extractor of my own and can't get it out easily.
      >
      > Is it okay for me to store this super in a bag with the moth crystals and then add it to the fresh bee package I've ordered this spring?
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Brian

      If you have had them all winter and no moths have shown up, then you are likely safe if you do nothing more than put them in a plastic garbage bag and seal them up. Put them in the freezer for a few days if you want to make sure.

      > Knoxville, TN

      Marshall
      Also Knoxville TN
    • Show all 14 messages in this topic