      From: Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Tim Arheit
      Sent: Saturday, February 09, 2013 5:33 PM
      To: Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [Beekeeping] A Beekeeping Question! Requeening a laying worker hive

      Actually that's part of the problem with a laying worker,  they haven't mated so they can only lay unfertilized eggs that will result in drones.   Sometimes they can lay very normal sized drone eggs,  but when you start seeing lots of eggs laid by works, you'll see many undersized eggs which isn't surprising since the workers reproduction organs aren't fully developed.

      -Tim

      On 2/9/2013 4:33 PM, karon wrote:

      You know, I’m not even entirely sure of that. No studies, basically, just an assumption. I would think she would have been out for a mating flight or an attempt at one. But, then again, it may be that a former forager may be a laying queen. Like I said, it has been a while since I kept bees and I only had a laying worker once.  I was just trying to think it through and assuming she had always been a layer but had not been fed jelly early enough to become a real queen. I suppose a former forager might change over to a laying queen.

      I may very well have been wrong about that. I am not certain why I came to that conclusion. Don’t know if I read it somewhere (and on further reflection, I doubt that I did) or just deduced it myself, incorrectly it seems, now that I have read more here and had time to think on it a little more.

      Karon Adams

      Accredited Jewelry Professional (GIA)

      You can send a Rosary to a soldier!

      www.facebook.com/MilitaryRosary