16910RE: [Beekeeping] Re: A Beekeeping Question!

  • karon
    Feb 9, 2013

      I can’t say I blame you Bill. I wouldn’t either. I often forget that a lot of beekeepers live in places that are FAR colder than mine. For instance, here, it is in the 70’s, today. Opening the hive is no big shakes. If it is too cold one day, wait till tomorrow and there is no problem<G>

      But, if you have a laying worker, or even suspect one, opening the hive is really the only way to confirm it.

      IIRC, and I could be wrong, don’t the bees live longer during the winter? Living in a sort of semi dormant state while balled in the center of the hive?  Still, the workers generally toss drones to starve in the fall so if you had a laying worker, seems the remaining workers would toss the drones as they hatch.

      Still, I haven’t kept bees in a while and only had a laying worker once in the time I was keeping, before so I cannot remember for sure all the tricks and habits. And, being in The South, I am not certain about the overwintering behavior in colder climes<G>

      Karon Adams

      Accredited Jewelry Professional (GIA)

      You can send a Rosary to a soldier!

      www.facebook.com/MilitaryRosary