16905Re: [Beekeeping] A Beekeeping Question! Requeening a laying worker hive

  • Tim Arheit
    Feb 8 8:34 AM
      In general the procedure tends to work, but I think it's more because of the significant disruption to the hive rather than the wisdom I've seen quoted.  ie. Laying workers can't fly or that they have only left the hive one time so they don't know where it is.

      Why couldn't a laying worker fly.  A laying queen certainly can and they are much heavier.   They also stand a good chance to find the hive if taken out of the hive and released, even if they have only been out of the hive once.

      In a normally functioning hive,  the queens pheromones inhibit workers from laying eggs, but they don't prevent it entirely.  Studies have shown something like a 0.01% incidence of laying workers in a normal queenright hive.  This doesn't sound like much, but can mean 2 or more laying workers are in nearly every hive.   You would never notice their activity though as a healthy hive removes bad eggs and the few eggs a single laying worker or two lays will be dwarfed by the queens normal production.   That said there have been some beekeepers observing a laying worker in a queen right hive (I've even seen it once), and more beekeepers have seen signs of it such as a few drone cells in honey supers above an excluder with no real indication the queen got though by the lack of a normal pattern.

      In the absence of the queen,   the number of laying works tends to increase significantly after a couple weeks in general, though I've seen hives that have significant laying workers within a week and other hives that never seems to develop laying workers even when queenless for many weeks.

      On 2/8/2013 10:46 AM, karon wrote:

      It has been a while but I remember this procedure!  I have heard good things about it. and it makes sense. Unlike foragers, that laying worker has only been out of the hive one time. A MUCH easier way to do away with her than trying to find her and kill her!!

      Karon Adams

      Accredited Jewelry Professional (GIA)

      You can send a Rosary to a soldier!

      www.facebook.com/MilitaryRosary