16901RE: [Beekeeping] A Beekeeping Question! Requeening a laying worker hive

    Feb 8, 2013
      >>>   I have yet been
      able to re-queen a hive with a laying worker…….

      The procedure that I understand to work well is to take the hive about 200 to 300 feet away.  Shake out ALL the bees. Then move the empty hive back to its original location.  For some reason it seems that the laying workers are unable to find their way back to the old location,  You then requeen the hive after about a day after the above operation.  I would delay the release of the queen for about two additional days, but that is my personal thought.  A way of doing that without disrupting the hive to any degree is to fix the queen cage in place horizontally with the candy end facing one end of the hive.  Replace the current plug with a bee-proof plug attached to a strong fishing line.  String that string from the new plug so that it lays outside the hive between two hive baxes (hive bodies, supers, a combination of the two, or between a hive bax and the inner cover, so that the other end of the line lays outside the hive and has enough length to be able to grab and pull strongly.  After placement into the hive for two days, go back to the hive and pull the end of the fishing line which has been left dangling outside the hive.  That will pull the plug on the queen cage and allow the bees to chew their way through the candy and thence release the queen.  This would give the bees four to five days to acclimate to the new queen.  Make sure that the bees have access to the queen through the screen if you use a wooden queen cage.  A week to ten days after you pull the plug, go back into the hive and remove the queen cage and check for eggs.  If you see eggs the way they should be laid by a queen, then you are good-to-go.